Denon or pioneer

Rhino1

I had a couple of Denon avr's that I demo for a month and they really sounded nice with a slight warmth to the music. They were the 2312 and another lower model. I went back to the store one day and the Pioneer Elite was marked way down. I took it home and fell in love with it. It is not warm like the Denon, but is ultra clean in it's sound. In room integration the Pioneer get's the nod. I use it with an Icon V system and it was very nice. I now use with a reference setup with the same good results. The reference system was more tricky for proper room integration. It all depends on wether you like the warm feel of the Denon or the ultra clean sound of the Pioneer. My comparison is not completely fair since I did not have one of Denon's Flagship models.

I am not a fan of Pioneer's display (color, clarity, items shown). I much prefer the brushed metal look of the flagship Denons. If you can obtain a 4311, I would give it a try. I have owned a 3808ci and currently own a 2112 and 4311. I love(d) them all. I love Airplay and the ability to control them via a web browser and cell phone.

My friend has a Pioneer Elite (a few years old) and has had no problems.

I like how the Denons show the number of incoming channels and the number channels that are being output. If you have two subs, the 4311 has the latest Audyssey that will EQ two subs along with all your speakers.

I do not know much about Pioneers, so maybe they have all the same stuff....

One factor seems to standout in picking Pioneer vs Denon is the sub EQ and multiple xo for speakers. Pioneer places more emphasis on filters and standing waves compared to EQ the sub. In a practical sense they are both acheiving nearly the same thing. The use of a signal xo on the Pioneers models is based on phase control which results in the seamless setup most of us want. EQ'ing can result in phase shifts and is harder to tweak post Audyssey. MCACC also focuses in on timber matching which also helps deliver a seamless front stage. I have experience this using different lines of Klipsch speaker with good results. THX and Air Studios also feel that a signal xo serves to give a more seamless sound. I am a Pioneer fanboy and am looking at the Pioneer SC 68.