X7i

bwbike

Anybody "in the know" have any data how the soon to be released X7i compares to the S4/S5 or the X10i?

Specifically, I wonder about the bass they will be capable of.

I did audition briefly at the Pilgirmage in June but briefly. I think Professor Thump said they're very similar to the Image X5 that's not been available for qutie some time. Not quite the bass (supposedly) of the Image x10 but not at all lacking and sound clearer to me. I think is's a more pronounced midrange. The X10's don't seem to be lacking in anything, nor did the Image X7i.

I will be in Indianapolis next week and hope to get a few minutes with the X7i and compare to my X10. And ask Professor Thump if he's in the office. I also hope to get an audition of The Console. Never got around to doing that at the Pilgrimage.

I'll report back here if I'm able to do so... unless Professor Thump or Amy, Alex, or Trey, etc... provides an update. Miss Amy says they are phenomenal.

Thanks for your comment. Actually, I feel that my X10i's are lacking bass; I like the bass in my S5i (and S4i) better. I was hoping the bass would be more pronounced in the new X7i. I use my S5i most of the time because I like the bass (and the iControl is water resistant).

Thanks for your comment. Actually, I feel that my X10i's are lacking bass; I like the bass in my S5i (and S4i) better. I was hoping the bass would be more pronounced in the new X7i. I use my S5i most of the time because I like the bass (and the iControl is water resistant).

edit: ps I started this last ight I thought after 11 PM but missed the Image One.. Sorry for the brain dump. Maybe you're not getting as good a seal as hoped for... it can be diffiult depending on one's ear "geometry", Everybody's ear canal is different and typically it's a corskscrew shape up to the ear drum. Maybe the Reference version would work better for you? As I think the Image One has a Reference Series sound signature. See if you can try them. YMMV [8][8][8][H][8][8][8]

Then the x7i are not for you. The S4s I believe were designed more for portable players with highly compressed mp3 files for example such as iTunes. I don't know for sure but I couldn't find a way to change the mp3 bitrate from 128 kpbs. That is too low a bit rate, Especially for very high quality, high resolution in ear monitores like the Image X10I and new Image X7I and no longer available Image X5 and the Custom series all of which used high quality armatures. Does that mean the S4 and other S seriers are "bad" somehow? No. They are very good. I briefly auditioned the S2 and S4 as prototypes, very briefly, and maybe a bit since then, or at least the S3. For "low" cost phones, at $100 MSPR they are expensive to most of us, including me, the ruggedized S5i even a bit more expensive. But a bargain for the quality of sound you get for the money.

What all this realy means is that you like a more pronouned bass sound signature. Like the S4i or S5i, the X10i requires a proper seal. They are not defiicient in bass as with a good seal and good bass you can literally feel the deep powerful bass in your head. I suspect you can with the S4i and S5i as well? I've not spent that much time with them. If you're not gettting deep bass out of the X10i then you're not getting a good seal. I suspect you did.

You prefer a bass heavy sound. May prefer bass heavy music genres such as hip hop or rap. And maybe for any other forms of music such as pop, rock, classical, or country.. Makin the S4i and S5i an even greater bargain for you. .

For more bass in an in ear phone? I've not idea? Try finding Juetin TX 16 posts as he's compared and has website or blogs about many different models. If you can't see any of his posts. They're kind of hidden. At the bottom of the main Headphone section, click on More Options and select uption to see all posts, the default is most recent 3 months. The Forum software resets it occasionally. Searches may find old posts but sometimes you may want to scroll through.

Justin can probably recommend an in ear phone for you. Maybe (ugh, they sound terrible to me) Beats by Dr Dre(adful) may work for you. Not sure they make in ears. Their over the ear phones to me sound like nothing but bass. Price of admission is pretty high though.

We all hear differently especially with in ear phones. So what sounds best to you is best for you. YMMV

Good luck in your search. Maybe if you have EQ you can get closer to what you're looking for with a bit of a bass boost, too much may overdirve the S4 and S5 micro speakers. Maybe the x series armatures. But maybe rolling off the mids and highs will give a more bass heavy sound signature.

It's also posslibe your hearing n the bass is not very good, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Hopefully Justin or Professor Thump or others with more experience with all the 'phone models will provide their thoughts.

p.s. Professor Thump is a bass freak, maybe not, but he's designed serious good live sound bass for a highly respected company before he began working for Klipsch. Before that he owned a regional live sound company. He has and can not only produced really good deep bass for arenas, but also I think did a lot of work on the RF series, I think even the subs... and now bass in your head. Of the earlier line up, the Image x10 began with no i (iApple compatable), and the Custom models, 1, 2, and 3. Then Image X5 followed shortly. In ears he preferred the X5 over the X10 preferring the more forward sound signature. His favorite was the Custom 3 and they had the deep bass of the X10 and more forward sound of the X5. The custom series are long gone.

You are not alone in preferring the S4 bass over the X10i. Getring even more? I don't kow but dialing back may help, it won't provide more but it may give it a more pronounced bass sound signature. And a bit of bass boost may help. But be very judicious in such use as too much, like in a very good bass driver, especially the louder it gets the physical limits of the driver can be exceeded and trash the driver. If it starts sounding bad, back it off.

I appreciate taking the time for your post. I do use an iPod for music listing when I work out (more hours than you could believe). The S5i is my favorite for that. I used to use the S4i for workouts, but started using the S5i when they came out (they sound about the same). The S5i is much more sweat resistant. My Image ONE's sound better than any of my in-ear phones, but I don't use them for vigorous (and sweaty) work outs.

I guess the X10i just isn't the best matched with the iPod as compared to the S5i/S4i. I know my X10i is real as I ordered them through Klipsch. They do sound excellent, but just lack a bit of bass. I like the X10i if I'm listing to music on the go as the tiny size is nice. As you likely realize, I know about the seal which is the same with the X10's or S5's. I use the large ear gels (wish there was an extra-large size).

I'm not ready to buy Beats, or other brands. I was just wondering how the X7 differs (or is the same) as the X10 which is why I started this post. [:)]

I'm not ready to buy Beats, or other brands. I was just wondering how the X7 differs (or is the same) as the X10 which is why I started this post. Smile

The short version... The X7, and hopefully P Thump will verify and/or I may be able to audtition next week... I think to me sounds clearer in the highs. Really just more midrange. Probably not quite as deep or powerfull bass as the x10i but not lacking in bass. A brightrer sound then the x10i?

Try the largest double flange in the ears a bit deeper. Or small double flange in a bit further. Just make sure the gels are on tight before pushing in too deep.

p.s. The S4 and S5 models I believe designed for compressed music and may be more forgiving of "flaws" in the music. iTunes, at least my daughters account, would only allow mp3 downloaded at 128 kbps. Too low a bit rate. The S4 / S5 do have more bass. Probably a bit boomy to some compared to the X10i. YMMV

I'll report back here if I'm able to do so... unless Professor Thump or Amy, Alex, or Trey, etc... provides an update. Miss Amy says they are phenomenal.

Like Amy, I absolutely love the Image X7i. The balance and accuracy of the headphones is just simply awesome...The new ceramic design also looks and feels quite nice.

You can change the bitrate for ripping CDs in the iTunes settings. The default is 256 kbps AAC. If you download from the iTunes Store, the default is iTunes Plus, which is also AAC (256 kbps). I've compared AAC to Lossless with the music I listen too (rock/metal), and I can't hear any difference (I use the Beyerdynamic T5P at home and the Etymotic Research ER4P at work. I also own the Sennheiser HD600, Klipsch S4A, and the Image One). Either it's my age, music type or both -- but AAC sounds pretty good to me and allows me to really pack the music into my iPhone.

• 1 month later...

I noticed from the speccifications that the X7i uses the KG 623x7 armature, and the older X5 uses the KG 623. I also noticed that the X7i has a little less advertised sensitivity than the X5 (110 vs 115 dB @ 1 mw) I am wondering if the character of the sound is any different than the X5, which is my current favorite Klipsch in-ear that I have tried thus far (well, I do like the Custom 3's sound a bit better, but the X5 is so much more user friendly.) The sensitivity difference has me wondering if they tweaked the driver somewhat from the X5 version. Once the android version comes out, I will be all over it as long as it is still near the X5 in tonal quality. Wonder if the android version will be available before Christmas?