Surf's Up

Mallette

Managed to sneak off to Half-Price Books and Records for a short time yesterday. My wife had picked up a wonderful stack of vinyl there as a stocking stuffer Christmas so I was looking forward to it. I was a bit disappointed as stock was pretty low. Due to this, I purchased things I might not have otherwise if there had been a plethora of choices. One such album was a "Direct Master, 16 Track Audiophile Recording Audio Encores AE-1003: JAN AND DEAN."

(Patiently waiting for storms of laughter and hoots of derision to subside)

So I broke the seal this morning...yes, unopened (what a surprise!). Now, it's been said that anyone who claims to remember the 60's wasn't there, but I can assure you of this: they damn sure didn't sound this good. A pristine 128 gram pressing cut straight from A-80VU24 to a Scully lathe controlled by the CBS "Discomputer." The "Discomputer" controlled depth and width from a preview head on the tape deck. Best I can tell the performance was done in 1980. I am surprised that anybody, including Jan and Dean, cared by that time.

The sound? Unbelievable. "Ride the Wild Surf" with strings is a TRIP. Whole thing makes we want to hope in the woody and head for CA. I'm certain it would effect others the same way for different reasons...but hey, different strokes.

This disc was labeled as a series, so there must be others. They'd be a good bet if this one is an indication of the quality.

I am having second thoughts about one I did not purchase. It was an Italian "History of RocknRoll" disc containing the best of Jimi Hendrix. The back was a catalogue of some FIFTY albums containing everyone you've every heard of, and some you haven't. My assumption was that this was a pirate disc. That did not bother me so much as my fear that it had been master from a cassette or something. It was sealed. Well, you never know...

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: 21rst Century

Mallett,

Take it from one who loved those old "Historia del Rock" album series offerings...they are excellent!! There is one on Duane allman, too...that has about three LP's in it....all of his work...even him on Motown doing session work for Aretha and such!! You can't go wrong with that series!! Besides, European Lp's generally use a better grade of vinyl, AND they press far fewer albums from a master than they did here!!!...Better stuff all the way around!!!

I grabbed them up whenever they came out with one back when I was stationed in Italy!! Great stuff!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Dave,

Sorry bout makin you feel SOOOOO much better about passin them up...but at least now ya know what to look for...next time...right? By the way...those old "history" albums were mixed from master tapes from England...and in case you didn't know...The Jimi Hendrix Experience's first album came out in Europe over a year before it was released in the states...and had a couple of extra songs on it too...same album cover, but different song listing on the American and European versions...something to look for, too!!

Another thing to look for from Italy if you like Hendrix: The New Trolls...Tribute to Jimi Hendrix...one side is Hendrix live, other side is very popular Italian band from early 70's called New Trolls..playing in Hendrix style!! Pretty good album!!

And look long and hard at any vinyl in good shape from John Mayall and the Blues Breakers...lots of great guitarists, etc...played with him over the years...Hendrix, Clapton, etc...great stuff!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

I spent a lot of time, starting in the Army, in Asia. The knock-off's there were uniformly horrible. That is were my fears come from. I found it hard to believe either that such a company could afford all the royalities and/or arrange for same. That record looked at least 20 years old and had no sign of copyright notices. The presence of the Beatles on it, who I did not think had released any of their material that far back, as well as my memories of crappy Asian knockoffs, sort of sent me negative.

Oh well, you never know. Might get by there and see if it's still around on Saturday. There was not exactly a crowd hanging around the vinyl, and maybe some new stuff will have shown up.

Also just listened to a Columbia "Dukes of Dixieland" album called "Breakin it up on Broadway" acquired on the same trip. Needs a bath which I hope will reduce the nasty ticks and pops, but otherwise really fine recording of great liveness and presence. I've a couple of others elsewhere on, I think, Audio Spectrum, but I didn't know they cut for Columbia. Damn treat for 2.00.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: 21rst Century