RF-7II or KL-650 for LCR?

COACH10810

I hope this topic hasn't been brought up in a previous thread and if it has, I apologize...

Right now I have RF-7II's and a RC-64II for my LCR in our living room setup. I am getting ready to move into a new home, dedicated room, etc....

The idea of having three identical speakers for the LCR has been going through my mind for awhile. I had an opportunity to hear a setup done this way(not Klipsch)and it really added something to the movie experience.

I started doing some research and found a pretty amazing deal on some KL-650's, brand new in the box from an authorized dealer. This has me going back and forth on what to do. Contacted Klipsch directly and they were great. The guy I spoke with told me he loved the setup I have and said the difference would be minimal between the two, but favored the three 650's(VERY slightly) for 100% movie watching.

Placement flexibility of the 650's is what has me thinking hard about making the switch. Eventually, I would like to have the speakers behind the screen. Since the RF-7II's are rear ported, I would have to pull them away from the wall some. The 650's could be mounted on the wall if I wanted or at least placed right up against it.

It would be great if somebody on here has done a comparison between the two setups and can chime in some..

Thank you in advance.

I heard them and probably felt the same thing you did with the same speakers at the same height across the front. I did like it. But I did watcha clip from avatar which I am very familiar with amd I felt the downfall of that system vs mine was the subs. They seemed to be trying very hard to keep up. Of course mine are in a smaller room but I know a lot of people have compared them. It's hard for me to make a direct comparison because my system is not optimally setup at all. Way too small of a room. Rs-62 are about a foot and a half away on each side. Fronts are 7 feet apart and 7 feet away from me. I think mine will sound much better once it's in a bigger room. If I were you amd you had a dedicated room. I would do three towers. That way you can keep what you have. And just add a third. I have heard some amazing stories of doing this and you can find some sexy pics of it as well. The limit factor is you either have to do a false wall. Or a drop down screen. The real benefit of the thx setup and something I believe they were kind of geared toward is costum install. Most people that buy those at the dealer I heard them, said everything goes in the wall even subs. Just like the pics on the website. So if you wanted to do that then go for it but I think you will have much bigger sound from adding a third tower. I mean you pay for practicality. You and I both know the rf-7ii has bigger woofers and way bigger tweeter which is gonna allow for a bigger soundstage. It's just not that practical to run three towers, bu them again not everyone gets a dedicated space. I'm hanging onto my 64 for now but if I move home and have space a third tower it will be for me.

I had a chance to listen to the 7.2 650 setup from a dealer when I was picking my rs62s up, meh...if I was starting from scratch and had a dedicated room I'd consider them only with 100% movies 0% muisc, I couldn't beleive they wanted 3 grand for just the subs after that I didn't bother wanting to know what the speakers cost...but with what you have already I think money maybe better spent on adding an additional sub or going bigger that way, also add another set of bookshelves for rear

Another thought is if you can add a false wall then try adding a 3rd rf7ii that would be my route of choice as well as adding another sub and bookshelfs [6]

I am going to have a dedicated room, but not sure how the room is going to be laid out yet. The idea right now is to have an AT screen, but most likely it will be a drop down in front of the speakers. Eventually I would like a fixed screen on a false wall, but just don't know if it will happen initially.

My RF-7II/RC-64II setup is up for sale.....but by all means, I won't be giving the things away. I have been leaning towards keeping them and see how the sound in a bigger room..possibly playing around with a third RF-7 and go from there. Then I can put some money towards the screen, a second sub and another set of rear speakers.

I have been talking to a fellow forum member who has quite a bit of experience with Klipsch and is a dealer. He suggested I keep what I have but did say he really thought the THX setup would be the best choice for 100% movie watching. If I wanted to pursue going the route of the THX speakers after hearing how my current system sounds in a new room, he would sit down with me and talk about it.

It is an expensive system and I would want to have all the speakers be from the same line, except for the subs. Not sure I would pay that kind of money for the subs..but who knows.

I have the THX Ultra2 setup which I bought thinking I would use for movies only and they have been fantastic. But it seems many dismiss them for any music which I cannot understand as they do a very nice job. The subs I believe are extremely capable in my opinion and they lend themselves to music even more than the rest of the system.I also have read where a couple of highly regarded members on here have very favorable opinions of the subs and have used them with Heritage systems as well. I think if you are above 65% for movies these are a great option especially considering their flexibility and ease of setup. I personally prefer my Belles for music but I do find myself listening to the THX system some times for a change of pace and if I didn't have my Belles I would be extremely satisfied with the music from this system. Having said all that I have not heard the RF-7II's so I have no comparison but thought I would give you some real life feedback on the THX system.