Home prewired with coaxial wiring, how does it connect to my SW350 subwoofer?

phgunr

I hope somebody here can help me with my connection issues. I recently moved into a new house, which was prewired for surround sound, The previous owner had the wiring done and had speakers and subwoofer inplace, but I wasn't able to talk him into selling them to me. I bought Klipsch Quintet speakers and a SW350 subwoofer. Installing the Quintet speakers was easy and they're working nicely. When I went to hook up the subwoofer, I found a coaxial connector there, and stopped... My question, is how does it get hooked up from there? I found a coaxial to RCA cable amongst my various wires and wiring parts, is that what I need? if so, where/how does that hook up? Also, how does the coax cable get connected to the back of my Onyko TX NR 709 receiver from the wall plate? Thanks!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

When you say coaxial, do you mean a digital coax? A regular coaxial is the old school type like the kind that screws into as an antenna (shown below)

coaxial-cable-connectors.jpg&w=639&h=437images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTP3sCwcsVaC1nT9kioHSy

Hopefully, they had a digital coax cable installed like below

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfheSdOnoFWgpALpRIiR4

If that is the case, you are good to go. You just need to buy an RCA Y adapter that has a female on one end and two males on the other end to plug into the back of your sub.

What you need to get is called an F-connector phono adapter. They have them at radio shack.. The catalog part # is 278-290. They screw onto the coaxial cable and have a male RCA on the other end. So for the subwoofer, you screw it onto the end of the coax cable and push it onto either the left or right input on the subwoofer. For the receiver, you attach the needed length of coax from the wall plate and put the adapter on it and push it onto the subwoofer input. Then you will be good to go.

• Moderators

Youthman, I tried posting some pic's and Klipsch stopped it.

They don't like you do they? LOL. Just kiddin bro.

Typically, if you post more than 10 images or 10 links in a single post, the forum thinks you might be SPAM so it sends it has to be approved by a moderator before it will post. Shoot Amy Unger a PM and she can get it approved.

• 4 weeks later...