HELP!! La Scala x-over and re-wiring...

Hello,

I am going to start finishing my La Scala cabnets this weekend and I am removing all the drivers and cross-overs right now, but I am having a problem with removing the crossovers. I see 3 screws that are not holding any components down and I removed them but it still won't budge. Do the screws for each componet hold the board down as well? These are type AL x-overs.

Also, the wires are pretty flimsy. Has anyone rewired the speakers? If so what did you use or would you recomend it?

Thanks for the help,

Rob

There are at least 4 screws holding the network; keep looking. I think some have used audiophile wire on their K-horns. I can't remember too much about the results, though. It seems like nobody hurt the sound, but I don't recall much help either. Try it for yourself. I can't imagine degrading the sound unless you don't use enough strands of magnet wire.

John

18ga can handle 6A. A Klipschorn is 32R in the midrange. Power is current squared times resistance. (6A*6A)*32R=1152W, this may be a bit loud on your Klipschorns. The inexpensive AudioQuest F14 sounds better than cheap lampcord (what Klipsch used). Its two solid copper 20ga wires per leg, that's about 17ga. Last time I checked it was about $0.70 a foot. Lampcord seems OK for the woofers. Teflon CAT5 wire is popular with DIY types. Twist eight conductors of 24ga together and you will have the equivalent of 18ga per leg. To generalize: solid sounds better than stranded, but don't go bigger than 18ga for mids and highs. Go more strands rather than a single big one (leave the 10ga Romex on your water heater). Doubling up drops 3 ga numbers (ie: 2 X 18ga = 15ga). Multiple strands per leg should be individually insulated (Litz). Plated wire can sound bright. PVC insulation is not so hot, Poly is better, Teflon is best. Most people will not be able to hear a big difference, so don't mortgage the farm. I can give you an idea of what is in those little boxes on both ends of the MIT wires, but unless you are driving electro-stats or a bunch of piezos it probably doesn't matter.