Eico HF-81 is here! Now what?!

anarchist

Hi kelly,

I am almost positive the one is dead - no light whatsoever from it. I have kept it to low volumes, ok, 6 max and have been taking it easy on it - less than 24 hours since Saturday; couldn't help it.

Almost won an auction last night for 4 EICO Mullards but fearing my luck could turn, I didn't chance much because the pictures were pretty scary and there was no information to speak of.

Why didn't I believe it? Tubophiles love to use phrases like romantic, airy, etc. This meant nothing to me and I simply couldn't relate. Figured it was pretty much nonsense that made them feel 'special' to be in a club where they could BS those who weren't in it. That and technically it makes no sense to me.

It was your postings, a couple of SS guys over on HTF, several of the folks here who have moved to tubes, and those gorgeous Consonance kits that made me decide to try. I am glad I did except for reading post after post looking for tubes now. Smile.gif

I am using the top inputs and all is connected as you stated. Used the diagrams on the bottom to make my way, which by the way are in incredible condition as well. I do, however, have no idea which tube is the phono stage 1? The 'holland' is in the silver sleeve that stands alone and off to the right of the output tubes. Is that the phono section?

BTW, you may hate me Smile.gif, but I believe my very lucky find of this EICO is actually cleaner than your restored model - on the inside. I have got to take a closer look but rust and pitting are not to be found. You have motivated me to do the exterior and follow your example - yours is super sharp.

I will try to post pictures of mine later today. I am looking at old radio shops in the area to see if I can score some EL-84's and find someone with a tester. Again, my sincerest thanks to you Kelly and NOS and Jazman and Mike and everyone else who led me to this point. Oh, yeah, Kelly, not that I am particularly concerned but where it the review on the Joplin. Smile.gif

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell no, why be mad? I got both my EICOs for $100 each and the first one, which sounds the best of the two, looked like a rotten goose egg cosmetically. It now looks great from the outside but the inside is not pristine at all (although, I have seen MUCH worse). A few others on here have gotten their interior up to snuff as well. Appears you got lucky here, too. I would run the unit with the top off for cooling as it is one of the hottest running vintage integrateds around. The power trans gets VERY hot but this is common. Dont be too alarmed. IT is spec to run at 195F all day and can safely be operated to 225. You will notice the output trans nearest the power trans runs hotter than the other trans. Reason? Only that is it closer to the power transformer heat. Dont let this alarm you.

I am going to actually finish that EICO site I started years ago and will put all the pics I have gotten from owners somewhere. Send some good shots and I'll throw them up. Both tbabb and Chris Robinson sent shots of their good work.

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-11-2002 at 04:01 AM

Ok guys,

Here are some pics of the Eico. Tell me what you think. I also included a picture of my new foal HornEd had asked about previously. Thought I would share.

Hopefully this works. There has to be an easier way to do this?

Front of Eico

Picture of Interior from side

Interior shot from top

New foal

------------------

Audio - Heresy, KG4

This message has been edited by crash827 on 06-11-2002 at 02:33 PM

Hi Kelly,

Thanks. What is the deal with the 'sweat' as you called it? Looks like an oil stain or something. Yeah that one tube is scary - it has the flaky glass on the inside - pretty certain it is not working. JJ's huh. Saw them on Ebay advertised as NOS by one seller. Will place an order with a reputable company. Smile.gif

Figure I will pull the Mullards until I can get another set. Currently looking at two auctions on Ebay for used Mullards - wish I had bought the Eico by Mullard tubes yesterday. $25 and they were mine, damn!

------------------

Audio - Heresy, KG4

If you can find a set of EICO EL-84 from someone that has almost NO bad feedback that sells a lot of used tubes, then it might be well worth it in that price range. These tubes were built to higher standards. Remember the RCA/GE NOS EL-84/6BQ5 option as well. They are nice for the ducats. REmember, 6BQ5 is the SAME as the EL-84. Inj Europe, they used this system so most tubes have two IDs that tend to confuse newbies.

I would then pick up a quad of JJ or Ei as a backup since they are only $30 or so. Actually, it's good to have a back up of all your tubes choices.

kh

ps- Cant get over those beautiful animals either. Is that your land? If so, nice!

Hi Kelly,

Yep thats my land. I have 13+ acres - that is the short side of the property and that tree line borders the creek. Also just realized the new fence I have been meaning to paint for 7 months looks terrible in that picture. Smile.gif

Thanks for the kind words about the horses. I have 3 more that are bays including a mare that is simply stunning in the other paddock.

There are a few auctions right now on Mullard EL84s including a couple that are supposed to be NIB. They aren't cheap either. If you get a chance, take a look and let me know if any are worth pursuing - NOT the $200+ ones. I look at the pictures, can't tell if they look burned or if they are legitimate Mullards and not crap. BTW, what is a getter? I see things about square getters, round getters...whatever.

------------------

Audio - Heresy, KG4

Crash

I have a 7 Mullard 12AX7's. I wish I could test your tubes on my Hickok 536 and give you whatever tube I have that would match your set. But anyway's I guess I would except $25 shipped for one of them. Email me your address and we can figure you out the details. Oh And I will send you one Labels EICO which is what yours should say.

Craig

Oh and I agree with Kelly Quit using the amp until you get a new set of 6BQ5's or a new mullard for it.

craigostby@comcast.com

Hi NOS,

Darn it. I listened to the amp for several hours today. I may have withdrawals if I have to stop and wait for tubes but alright.

I saw that auction. Worried about that whole registered mail with cash stuff and coming from Germany. Tell me what 'high' is relative to these tubes? In other words what maximum should I consider?

------------------

Audio - Heresy, KG4

crash,

To maybe give yourself some breathing room and not feel so pressed with your Mullard hunt, it looks like you can pick these off relatively easy, and cheap. They are definitely Mullard made tubes by labeling and construction, though very used, they still have life in them, and there are 4 of them.

Plan B

I don't know what the final bid will be, but many times tubes with the secondary Mullard labeling go for a fraction of the Mullard primary labels. Mullard made tubes for many companies, and to my knowledge so far, I have found nothing that indicates they were of lesser standards than their own production Mullard labeled tubes.

Just a thought.

Klipsch out.

Crash

I personally try to buy used tubes in sets of 2 they tend to go for less. The quads alway's command a high price. I personnally wouldn't go much over $30 to $40 a tube at most.

I'm currently searching out tubes to replace the 3 that took a dump on me in the last 3 weeks. My stock of 7189's is getting low ( which is a higher output and heavier version of the 6BQ5 your HF-81 uses) and of coarse they command higher prices then yours. But I find the onesy twosie's go cheap and if you get enough you end up with a nice set. Just takes patience.

The germany guy has great feedback from US buyers I would hesitate to buy from him if the price is right.

Craig

crash,

FYI, you should consider using a bid snipper software package or maybe a website that will submit your bid for you at the last moment. It totally avoids fumble fingers on the switch at the critical moment. Some even synch with the auction sites clock to assure it gets the closing time correct. As for as expected winning price, I would suspect somewhere between $10 to $15 per tube will win based on the tubes not having spectacular values. Decide your limit, and never chase a bid. If you miss this one, there's always another opportunity very soon to follow. Auctions are strange beast with sometimes no rhyme nor reason for prices to escalate other than several people who just must have that particular item. I find auction items a bit like public transportation. If you miss this bus, there's always another on the way, it's the "when" that is the unknown part.

BTW, for you and other Forum members, my snipper of choice is "Bidnapper". It's a site. You can get your first 10 days of bids for free, then you must pay to use the site. This site will submit your bid within the last 5 seconds or so of an auction. Unless someone runs the price past what you are willing to pay, the site sneaks up on anyone lurking with a "15 second" bid to out bid what's showing on their screen. Good luck.

Klipsch out.

hi jazman,

unfortunatly it was not me. my audio luck appears to have run out for the moment as I have now just missed in three auctions. so far it was a quad for $21, the three NOS referenced for $65, and these last night. What pisses me off is I should have won last nights but was using my machine from work (was still in the office) and hadn't checked the password. Attempted to place my bid at the last second and got hit with invalid password. One chance, one shot at victory and now I am bitter in the face of defeat. I watched those tubes for 6 days dammit.

I shall continue looking but given the patience it is demanding and my need to turn on the amp, I think I will be picking up some Ei's to listen too - I have read and Mobile has said good things about them.

What other 'old' tubes do you guys recommend? I saw a quad of sylvanias, and amperexes, and telefunkens. I figure I will play with the output section and roll different tubes...but I want my matching mullards. Time to start hitting estate sales and stopping in some of these old tiny towns dotting KY.

------------------

Audio - Heresy, KG4

crash,

Bunk! Next time sign up to use the Bidnapper site one day before your next auction will expire. Trust me on this one. No fumbling at the switch!

As far as other options, I've used the EI's and liked them. Your other choices are also good. Siemens(West Germany) and Phillips(West Germany) also qualify. Good luck.

Klipsch out.

ok guys,

we are getting serious now. need the experts.

Are these real or fakes? There is an obvious difference in the printing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=883103723

What about these? I know...the pictures suck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1359134999

Thoughts on these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1359974647

And these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1359141355

Thanks for all assistance. And jazman, I quite likely will take your advice - although I think manual bidding is more thought provoking. Smile.gif But I want some tubes.

------------------

Audio - Heresy, KG4