Help finding an old Audio Amature (or Speaker Builder) article....

moray james

Some time back there was posted a copy of an interview with Klipsch (one of the designers, PWK was also interviewed a little) where the topic of the Chorus and the Cornwall was discussed and that the Chorus was dropped to preserve the Cornwall and the Heritage line up. I am sure that I saved it but I cannot remember the title or where can anybody who remembers please help? Thank you for the assistance.

I had posted the article you describe some years ago.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/51004/485609.aspx#485609

The content, though, is different than you describe. Jim Hunter described the CW as being a refrigerator in the listening room ...or like that. OTOH the Chorus was developed from the geometry of the KG's and thought to be more appealing. The CW would continue as demand allowed.

I do not see any implication that the KG, Quartet,Forte, Chorus, line was discontinued to save the CW. These neo-Heritage evolved in their own lines to adopt the use of the passive radiator for bass and the "tractrix" midrange.

My guess was that the Ref line was a venture to go beyond both those lines and take advantage of new understanding of performance and aesthetics.

However, The CW and other Heritage, of course, eventially were the survivors.

It is a very good article, which deserves close reading.

WMcD

t

Thanks for posting Will. It was a good read.

One very ineresting thing in the article. The Fortes and Chorous are the real bargains in the heritage lineup. Their concept with the Forte was a Heresy with better bass and a tractrix horn (Forte II I think). And the Chorus is supposed to be a Cornwall in a thinner package (and with an upgraded mid horn).

Anyone know what the Quartet was supposed to be? A smaller Forte maybe?

I also did nto knwo that teh KG's were made in the 1980's. Back then I seem to only remember seeing heritage in audio stores.

The mid horn and driver in the Quartet, Forte ll and Chorus ll are identical the same mid horn is also used in some of the pro line products. The horn is a hybrid horn it has an exponential conical throat and then transitions to tractrix with the flare rare being different in the horizontal and the vertical which is what was being talked about in the article to create controled directivity.

A Chorus ll is essentially a Forte ll with a slightly larger cabinet and a pro fifteen inch woofer. A Quartet is a slight smaller Forte ll with a ten inch woofer and a twelve inch passive. Great mid horn in all three, all great speakers. Best regards Moray James.

I have never performed an A/B comparison with the CW and Chorus. I just thought the Chorus, specially the Chorus II, were more appealing to the eye. I love my Chorus IIs and the way they perform. Kind of overkill for surround speakers. But, I bought them new in '96 and will not let them go. Of course, in my current setup, they are my fronts.

if you are interested you can re tune your passive radiators by adding some dead weight to them 2.5 ounces each will work well. Easy to do and or remove if you don't like the results. I can't imagine you not lking your Chorus ll with deeper bass response though.Best regards Moray James.

Thnx for the info, Moray James!

You are most welcome. You might also consider wedging a firm but compliant substance between your mid driver back plate and the rear baffle, aftermarket shoe insole material will work. The trick is go have it so the driver can still be screwed into place and then compress the material firmly between the motor and the baffle. This will not only brace the motor and horn but it will also stiffen and damp the rear baffle. Not as good as a full brace job but simple and easy to do while making a big improvement in overall sound. Lots of other mods you can do if you get the bug. Have fun great speaker. Best regards Moray James.