Buy an older subwoofer (Klipsch RT-12d) or something newer for a Klipsch reference system

eagle98

In my eyes, there are 2 main advantages to going separates over an AVR.

Basically what it comes down to is with the speakers you are looking for, the power coming from a receiver just won't do them justice. Usually by the time you drive all 7 channels with a receiver that claims to be 110 watts per channel (which is pretty close to average for receivers), that 110 claimed watts per channel can drop as low as half. Amplifiers usually have higher power, and are usually rated at all channels driven, so if an amp claims 200 watts per channel, it's usually 200 watts per channel with all channels driven. This can severely hinder the performance of the speakers, and when adding an amp, they tend to sound more full. It's basically easier for the speakers to hit the same volumes over all sound frequencies, making the sound much more even having that extra power. What this means is the low frequencies will tend to sound much more defined (an explosion will sound more like an explosion than something heavy being drug across the floor). The higher and mid frequencies will usually tend to sound more crisp and clear. When I added an amp to my setup, the speakers almost sounded like they were muffled before.

A second reason I found is with the processor. A processor is designed only to process the digital signals, so it can have higher quality parts for the same price. It's usually a bit more expensive, but in the future, when you need to upgrade, an amp will always stay the same and they usually last for a long time, so you will only have to be concerned with switching out one thing instead of having to buy an entire AVR again. Also, there is a chance that since a receiver has all the delicate sound processing and the power amplifying in one unit, all that power form the amplifiers has the potential to degrade the delicate processes going on with the processing. Usually, you will find a processor to have a much better sound quality than receivers. Receivers tend to pack in a ton of features you likely will not need as well, driving prices of them further up.

Don't take this too literally though, it's just a generalization, as there are some fantastic AVR's out there as well, especially if you can get lucky and score last years flagship models for very cheap. But for someone looking to get the best bang for his/her buck, I think separates definitely deserve to be considered at the very least. Keep an eye on Emotiva, Outlaw, Marantz, and Integra. They are usually very good brands that all have a lot going for them without being overpriced.

I am sure they will get things resolved in a timely manner. I've been running quad Epik Empires in my Home Theatre system for several months now without a single hiccup.

Huge fan of the empire but I have read they are having problems
at epik. People are waiting 3weeks just to get chad or anyone on the phone. After
what just went down with ED I would be nervous to go that way right now.

I am sure they will get things resolved in a timely manner. I've been running quad Epik Empires in my Home Theatre system for several months now without a single hiccup.

Huge fan of the empire but I have read they are having problems

at epik. People are waiting 3weeks just to get chad or anyone on the phone. After

what just went down with ED I would be nervous to go that way right now.

Hope your right. [:D]