How to connect four speakers on A terminal, two on B

Don Kondra

Greetings,

I really didn't think this through, sigh...

Purchased a Yamaha R-S300 Receiver/Amp, two channel 50wx2 and two RF-82 Mk IV speakers.

The plan was to run my Heresy's (circa 1980) in the house and the RF-82's in the shop.

I made the mistake of "testing" the RF-82's in the house before installing them in the shop on elevated platforms.

Long story, short. They are not going in the shop [H]

Finally, my question is what is the correct way to hook up both sets to the A and leave the B for the original shop speakers ?

Cheers, Don

Don,

Welcome to the forum.

I have one of these and it works great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ0C98031

Welcome to the forum!

With one of those bad boys, you wouldn't need the B terminals on the Yamaha.

parts-express sells them too. here's a link http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-selector-switches/132

note: the ones with volume controls cost a lot more.

Don,

Welcome to the forum. The speaker selector units are really handy for hooking up multiple speakers. One thing to be careful of in running multiple speakers at once is lowering too much the ohm load on the amp. Others on the forum can explain this better than me. BTW, very nice furniture on your link.

Thanks for that Bill, mustang guy and Daddy Dee !

And for the complement DD :)

I seem to remember reading about hooking up two x two speakers in series ?

Is this an option ?

Cheers, Don

Wired in series doubles the resistance, and in parallel halves it. I'm not sure, but maybe the switch boxes mentioned earlier compensate for lowering resistance with each added button pushed. Dunno...

Here's your answer:

Dayton Audio SS4 Speaker Selector Impedance Matching 1 In 4 Out

The SS4 is a low-profile speaker selector that allows you to distribute a stereo speaker-level (amplified) signal to multiple listening zones. These speaker selectors feature a manually activated impedance protection circuit. The protection switch can be turned ON to prevent the impedance to your amplifier from dropping below 5 ohms, regardless of the number and impedance ratings of your speakers. The protection switch can be turned OFF when used as part of a system incorporating impedance matching volume controls, allowing you to get the most out of your amplifier. The terminals on the rear of the speaker selector will accommodate up to 14 gauge cable; sufficient for cable runs exceeding 100 feet. For shorter distances, 16 ~ 18 gauge cable will suffice. For in-wall installations, we recommend using CL-2 or CL-3 rated cable for compliance with local building codes. If unsure, contact you local building inspector. When connecting a speaker and amplifier, it is important to maintain polarity; positive (+/red) to positive and negative (-/black) to negative. Be careful to maintain correct polarity between the amplifier, the speaker selector, the volume controls and the speakers. Power: 70 watts/channel impedance protection off, 140 watts/channel impedance protection on. Dimensions: 8-1/2" W x 2-1/8" H (with feet) x 5" D (including wire terminals and push buttons).

Success and thank you all very much for the recommendation.

The Source had a Nextech 4-way speaker selector switch for $50.

I hooked the switch to the A channel and then the Heresy's to A and RF-82 to B, the shop speakers went to the B on the receiver.

That way I contol the zones with the receiver and don't need to fool with the speaker selector switch.

Some tidying up needed and change the 18G bottom wires to the shop.

Posted Image

The "shop"..

Posted Image

Cheers, Don

BTW - if anyone has any finishing/refinishing questions please feel free to contact me.

For those that have little or no finishing equipment just google "Don Kondra's Secret Magic Mix" [:)]

That "thing" is a Japanese paper lamp" [:)]

I had a commission to make a hundred wood frames and figured after all that fiddly work I should have one or two..

The "paper" is hand made by a lady that studied the craft in Japan. The frame members are 1/2" x 1/2" and the joinery is half lap mitres. 9600 cuts [;)]

Click on my signature, it'll take you to my site where you can find a slideshow of my work.

Cheers, Don

PS> you never said what kind of "shop" you have to fit 6 La Scalas..

That "thing" is a Japanese paper lamp" Smile

...PS> you never said what kind of "shop" you have to fit 6 La Scalas..

Very nice lamp. My shop has cars in it. I use my garage at home to build stuff out of wood.

Here's a link to some pics around the shop. http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l547/wvmustangs/Shop%20pictures/

Your furniture designs are stunning. There is a member here who does sort of the same thing, except with Klipsch inspired speakers. You can check Greg out at www.voltiaudio.com. He has a very nice wood shop as well.

I saw the Labradore Retriever. We did have a chocolate Lab named Josiah. My wife accidentally hit him with a car a couple years ago. He died in my arms. It was a huge loss for us all. Fortunately, I also had a yellow and black lab to ease the grief process.

Click on my signature, it'll take you to my site where you can find a slideshow of my work.

Don,

I just went to your sight and you really do some beautiful work. I bet you could easily wood veneer those RF-82's and have a one of a kind pair.

Bill

Thanks Bill !

The speaker cabinets are black lacquered ash veneer, I doubt I'd ever get around to redoing them in a natural wood.

Just like the bare foot shoe maker I'm too busy making stuff for other people [:)]

Cheers, Don