Hey HornEd...all heritage ht???

kev313

Hey Ed...What do you think of a ht setup using all heritage (or what some would call the quasi-heritage offerings - forte or chorus). I ask because you have a beautiful set-up that you use for music. where are its ht weaknesses as compared to your dedicated ht setup?

What do others think about all heritage ht? (Note: To the extent that an opinion can be rendered on this point without doing so, I am Not trying to start another war between Ed's speaker type preference vs. others.)

Thanks

kevin

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

kev, when i get the space, like a big basement w/ the right corners, i want khorns, & belle or lascala for center. i may never surface. Biggrin.gif

i'd try to incorporate what i have now too. cornwalls & klf-30 for surround & rear surrounds respectivley.

a fine speaker is a fine speaker. i can't think of any speaker characteristics sound-qualitywise that make a speaker more of an ht speaker vs a music system. besides the multi-channel dvd movies have a lot of music content anyway usually, & I also love the multi-channel dvd concert disks.

imo the only thing that truely distinguishes an ht speaker is the shielding from the factory. has nothing to do w/ sound quality though.

only thing would be a sub to match up well w/ the khorns. hoping my hgs-18 & maybe another 1 would do the trick. easy to add expensove components when dreaming. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-09-2002 at 11:04 PM

I am a big fan of Heritage in HTSmile.gif

When I first found this board nearly a year ago, I set a goal of building a do-it-all HT and music system that would do justice to my rock and roll tastes. I really tried to like the RF series in local shop demos, but I was simply too addicted to the Heritage sound. No offense to the RF owners on the forum - it's simply my personal preference. This turned out to be good for my wallet, since Heritage speakers are out there used, in abundance.

Once I determined that Heritage was in fact the way I was going, I began the research on this forum - to soak up the experiences of members who were using Heritage and other large monopole speakers in HT applications. Several things became immediately apparent based on my research here:

1. Timbre matching is critical in any HT setup, Heritage or not, especially across the 3 front speakers. This is best achieved by using 3 identical mains across the front array - so when sound sweeps across the 3 front channels, it will sound seamless. Many underpurchase on the center (up to 75% of the movie sound comes through the center), so a third speaker identical to the mains is the way to go.

2. The rear array will preferably be matched to the front speakers - at least in timbre, if not identical to the fronts. This is where the "hot button" issue comes to light: Is it possible to get the "ambience" desired in movie soundtracks using 3 or 4 monopole speakers in the rear array? IMO, yes you can, if you have a room that will accommodate 7 properly placed Heritage speakers. Many have trouble with this for various reasons - lack of room size, poor room shape for HT, WAF problems. The RF series, as well as other recent Klipsch models, use WDST and other approaches to create that rear ambience in listening rooms where Heritage monopoles would simply be impractical. With Heritage in HT (or any other use for that matter), the speakers have "squatters rights" in the living room - they go where they sound best. Fortunately my wife doesn't have a problem with this. 4 Heresys make good rear speakers in a home theater in a smaller package.

3. Heritage in HT requires big time subs. To match the efficiency and dynamic range of the Heritage line, you need to plan on subs beyond the norm, in terms of both performance and price. There are a select few models that are truly up to the task - SVS, Velodyne HGS, Klipsch RSW, Revel, Carver microsubs, just to name some choices. I got lucky on my bass cabinets - I picked up 2 JBL pro cabinets cheap from the JBL tent sale. If not for this, I figure $2000 minimum to get subs that would do justice for my setup (the price of 2 SVS Ultras w/amp).

I am pretty happy with what my HT is now - the only immediate changes planned are finding a Belle for a center and moving the Academy to the rear, and finding another pre/pro. (long term goal: get a projector for movies). The effort spent to build my current setup has certainly been worth it.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

Thanks for the responses. Boa, you pretty much confirmed my guess. Dnd, I'm with you on the preference for heritage sound, but does one ensure timbre matching w/ heritage models.

Dnd, you still phishin (well, as much as you can, anyway)? I caught Trey in Chicago last week.

kevin

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

Boa took the words right out of my cybermouth - check driver specifics before taking the leap. In my case, the tweeters and squawkers in the Cornwall II and Chorus are the same. If you are thinking Khorns for mains, a Belle would be a good choice as center. "Matching" can be tricky with Heritage when "eras" differ, for example Cornwalls with alnico drivers are slightly different than the more recent Cornwall II. They are pretty close, but for best results, match the drivers as closely as possible.

Also, Boa - My living room will not accomodate Khorns for the HT in the living room - but my front room will for 2 channelSmile.gif If and when a move comes, Khorns could move in as mains in the HT then.

I haven't "phished" since October 2000 at Shoreline. I've been seeing quite a few String Cheese Incident shows of late (they are actually capable of causing this Chicago Bear fan to refer to himself as a "cheesehead"cwm14.gif). I'm still waiting in the wings if Phish does in fact return, although I haven't been holding my breath. I do think some sort of Phish reunion will eventually come - but if it doesn't, I'll have no trouble finding other diversions.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 06-10-2002 at 01:29 PM

boa,

RE: Ed,

I can imagine the RV and billboards making a beeline for Alabama right now. Or Kentucky. Smile.gif

Hopefully, he is just pissed (although I couldn't imagine why he should be) and is doing ok healthwise.

------------------

HT - Klipsch Synergy Premiere

Audio - Heresy, KG4

IMHO - A Heritage HT is a hard thing to beat.

I honestly think Klipsch is missing the boat and should market the newly re-released Heritage line as a HT solution.

My new house is going to be done in late July. Should have my new home for my vintage Heritage HT done in Aug - Sept. Just in time for the long Wisconsin Winter....

I cant wait.

JM