System for my t.v.

Dflip

I have a 52" t.v. and am looking to put a stereo with it to play the odd movie, sports, musical presentations (Olympics), etc... Yesterday, I picked up a RC 3 II centre channel speaker at a very good price. At the moment it's replacing a RC 10 as the centre channel for my computer system. It sure fills up the room with a sweet sound. Just a bit of overkill, but oh so good.

There are a pair of RB 61's or Heresys available locally for about the same price. These speakers would sit on top of my Cornwalls (2 channel). At some point I will think about a sub, but it's not in the plans at the moment. I have an older Acurus amp and preamp that I could run the system through. I have a very good 2 channel system for just listening to music, but I would prefer that the A.V. system is balanced for music first, rather than explosions. There are also a number of AV receivers available, NAD, Harmon Kardon and the ususal suspects.

At most, this will be 4.1 system with right, left, centre and sub speakers. I just want something more than the t.v. speakers. My main system uses tubes, so I don't want to run it as much as this new system.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Moderators

My main system uses tubes, so I don't want to run it as much as this new system.

I don't know anything about tubes, so I don't know if this would work or not ?

Can a tube amp be connected to a good quality speaker switch box ?

If so use your Cornwall's for the front, this would save money and not have another pair of speakers in the front. The money you save could go for the switch box, you would still need rears and AVR.

Also you would have better quality fronts doing this, I would just set the AVR to phantom or no center and have that signal go to the Cornwall's, unless there really far apart. With normal stereo the sound appears to come from the center anyway.

Another advantage is if the AVR can be connected online or if you have wifi many new receivers get internet radio which is nice for background music or when you just don't want to or can't keep up with LP's or CD's, just turn it on and leave it. It would be playing through your Cornwalls, not the tubes but it would still sound better than a lesser speaker for the front.

Dtel:

Thank you for the suggestion.

The only problem with your suggestion is that I would have to use my McIntosh MC-30's all the time. Since the "original style" power tubes are very expensive, $125 a tube (five years ago and increasing in price), I don't want to over tax that system. A solid state system, AVR, would be a lot cheaper to operate.

I found a speaker switcher which will also allow amp switching which would be ideal. I could leave the Cornwalls attached and then select the amp, MC-30 or AVR? That might work well, also allowing me to hook up the centre channel.

The RC 3 II in the computer system is unbelieveable, especially with well recorded songs. The 2.1 Klipsch computer speakers provide the immediate detail; well, to the extent that they can. The RC 3 would also make an excellent centre channel for the tv. Of course, the funny part is the Rc 3 cost me 2 1/2 times less than the Rc-10. It is immediately evident at volume, where the larger speaker takes over.

• Moderators

I found a speaker switcher which will also allow amp switching which would be ideal. I could leave the Cornwalls attached and then select the amp, MC-30 or AVR? That might work well, also allowing me to hook up the centre channel.

That's what I was thinking, only use the tubes for 2 CH and the AVR for everything else, just switch for what amp you want running.