New Horn Project 23" Tractrix

Guest David H

Guest David H

Just thinking out loud, and striking conservation. It appears you used MDF, other then cost what were your reasons for this and why not use a solid wood. The reason I ask, I all ways wondered if horns were like violins, violas. As I once read, and seen a special on how the stain preserves the sound of the violin by filling the pores of the wood(or maybe its not suppose to) I just know the special I watched on violin making they were particular on how it was stained and how the stain was made, they would even use crushed beadles for the mixture of the stain. Plus it would look really nice with some stained horns on top.

Thats a good question. I used mdf because it's incredibly dense, cuts nicely, and is easy to sand. The low cost of mdf is just a bonus.

The use of dense matrial for building horns is so they do not resonate or color the sound.

Stringed instruments work differently.

The stringed instrument viola is used by plucking or bowing. The vibration on the strings create sound waves that resonate in the scientific term as "wind cylinder" which in this case is the inside of the viola. The "wind cylinder" is to make the sound louder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Monaco update. Because these speakers have been so well received by all that have heard them (all 5 of them) I dropped them off in Orange county with Justin Webber who was kind enough to set up a demo for several of his freinds and previous customers.

Justin has a really nice listening room and a great system to demo the Monaco's on. Justin also has a great selection of amplifiers to demo because Justin spends all of his free time building DIY amps, kit amplifiers and pre-amplifiers both tube and solid state.

I have 2 J-WEB amps myself, one is a Dynakit ST-35, the other is a GET*SET*GO 300B amp 'both phenominal'. In fact I am sending my 300B amp back to for some upgrades this week. Justin is going to punch the chassis and install power meters so I can see all 5 watts.

Dave

Ive heard the Monaco's next to Dave's 2 way Cornscala and now next to his Yields. Im a Cornscala fan, but 1 of my speakers will be sold to get the Monaco. I played really well with my 8watt SE workhorse, but when I put my MC275 on it and gave them 90watts... I was reminded I need more floor joists. The Yield is the point source absolute sound speaker (Think Quad 57 with JL Subs). The Monaco sounded great, but man I fuc*ing cracked on it and it never compressed.

All kind words aside. I have 4 of Dave's speakers in 3 listening rooms. If there is interest, I will demo for any who wish to hear. Im in Aliso Viejo. (Very close to Irvine).

I didnt think Id be buying this year... I want a 2nd MC275 to go mono block, but this might be the purchase of 2013.

post-39161-13819825719456_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Dave do you have an idea as to ho low your 23" horns are holding their polar paterns? Is it as low as 500Hz? Thanks for posting, bigger is gooder. Best regards Moray James.

Honestly I dont know, however polar patterns typically tend to narrow at HF, I suspect they are good near the Fc. I am crossing the ContracT horn lens in at 3khz,so HF coverage should be quite good as well.

Dave

Guest David H

so are you saying the 23" horn is crossing into play ar 3KHz.? A round horn will be able to do a better job holding polars at the low end compared to say a rectangular horn with the long axis at 23 inched in width. Best regards Moray James.

Not at all. I am saying a Conical Hybrid horn used for HF will hold it polars better than a pure Tractrix. That being said, I am not nearly as concerned with polar response, as I am overall sound listening on axis.

Dave

Guest David H

Quote " I am crossing the ContracT horn lens in at 3khz,so HF coverage should be quite good as well."

Dave: is this a tweeter horn I am not seeing in the picture? What is the range of the 23" horn? Thanks and best regards Moray James.

The mid horn coverage is 375-3000, the tweeter is 3000+

SO I was playing Dave's speakers for some friends... Showing off his work and mine at the same time. (I had just built a 1626 SE amp, 3/4watt). Its amazing how efficient they must be. We we playing loud enough that my wife said something. Less bass grip than my SS 50 watt Class A amp, but so magical. 3/4watt was enough for my corn walls unless I was being stupid or cracking it up when no one was home... and its more than enough for these. Everyone was dually impressed! Esp as the yields were right next door. The yields really need 5 watts and up and can take every ounce of my MC275 I can give. The Monacos are much much more SE tube friendly. I love both... though the rule is one in and one out :-)