Suggestions for Avr/processor

boomer76

Finally piecing together my HT system, pair of rf-63 on their way, pair of rs-62 on their way, still looking for a deal on rc-64, and have Emotiva xpa-5 amp... I figured while I was waiting on the rc-64 to come available I should take a look at getting my processor... I'm leaning towards the Emotiva umc-1 at this point... But was curious if I should consider any Avr with pre--outs .... Thanks ahead of time for the suggestions...

If you can wait a month, I am sure there will be plenty of very cheap UMC-1's. Their next processor is coming out, and I believe a very large portion of the people who got a UMC-1 are planning on getting the next one (XMC-1). The sound quality is excellent, but can be quite buggy. There are probably numerous posts around here explaining some of the problems. Not really a deal breaker for most, but can be quite annoying. The next one is supposed to be quite a bit better, though the room correction system it has is largely unproven. It definitely as potential, so I am going to wait it out a little bit to see what happens. For someone just in the market for a processor though, the UMC-1 would be great and you'd get the upgrade card just in case it isn't what you are looking for.

I notice a lot of people really like Marantz with Klipsch, you might want to check them out as well. I don't think you will find anything nearly as cheap as the UMC-1 with similar quality though. Another thing I would look at is the Oppo BDP-103 or 105 blu-ray player as well if you don't already have a blu-ray player. I don't think there is a blu-ray player on the market with comparable picture and sound quality on the market with all the extra features for that price. It would be an excellent idea to get a good processor with a good solid set of features like sound quality and good room correction, and leave all the extra features you'd need to the Oppo.

If you are pretty set on something for around the price of the UMC-1, Emotiva has the UMC-500 and UMC-700 I believe, coming out. The model numbers might be wrong, but apparently they are built on the same foundation as the UMC-1, but from what I understand, don't have the bugs. I've only just begun buying Emotiva products and will tend to stick with them, but from what I understand, they have had a pretty bad track record in the past and currently with releasing new products. The release dates are usually delayed and when it does come out, can be quite buggy. I think they have decided they won't allow themselves to push a buggy product out again ,but it's up to you if you wish to wait, because there will be models coming out that are better than the UMC-1 on paper at around the same price, just gotta wait for it.

I have had my UMC-1 about a month now and have been very pleased with its performance. Most notably it is dead silent when no signal is present a feat the NAD or B&K AV Pre/Pro's could never do. I am still tweaking all the settings buy it sounds incredible with the Heritage big boys!

I favor equipment with pre outs as I use them. I have a fairly run of the mill (well when I bought it anyway) Yamaha AVR. I use the pre outs for my mains and drive the HT mains with a very nice SS stereo power amp and the results are better than the sum of the parts. The outboard amp allows me to take that load off the AVR power supply and amps thus my center gets the bulk of the power while sides and rears divide up the rest. It works for me. Without pre outs, you can't do this. YMMV!