Finishing touches to my HT setup, need your advice

boomer76

Okay, I am finishing up my HT setup, working on getting my rc -64 here to match my 2 rf-63 and 2 rs-62s, This system will be primarily used for movies/tv and I'm a nerd for the kind of bass that you feel in your chest and stomach and causes you to hold your breathe.... I am open to doing a DIY as all i would need to get for tools is a jig router for cutting the holes out of the 3/4 mdf, but the only thing that scares me away from DIY is I know absolutely nothing about equilizing amps to the driver... so if anyone would educate me in a sure fire DIY thread or build I could follow and maybe even learn about how to do the DIY route i would be very thankful......

And if not DIY, what kind of sub(s) should I be considering.......

Either way, I don't want to spend more than 800 to 1000 all togethor.........

Thanks ahead of time!

I've built 2 of BFM's subs and I wouldn't recommend one as you first project. They're very complicated, have tons of panels and braces to cut with multiple angled cuts. A simpler build is the Cinema F-20. HERE's one I built for someone. There's links to the free plans and cut sheets. There's also discussions of amps and the link to the avsforum thread.

I've built 2 of BFM's subs and I wouldn't recommend one as you first project. They're very complicated, have tons of panels and braces to cut with multiple angled cuts. A simpler build is the Cinema F-20. HERE's one I built for someone. There's links to the free plans and cut sheets. There's also discussions of amps and the link to the avsforum thread.

Carl, I wonder if he would be an IB candidate? That could be a chest pounder too...

Carl, I wonder if he would be an IB candidate? That could be a chest pounder too...

For some reason, not a lot of people want to cut a hole in their wall/ceiling/floor. I can't figure it out.

For some reason, not a lot of people want to cut a hole in their wall/ceiling/floor. I can't figure it out.

Buncha sissies! [:#]

The f-20 looks very doable , I could even have Home Depot do the cuts and I could do the bevels..... I have read through the threa a bit and a lot of people are usin the LAB driver-12". Is there a better driver I should consider? I am definately going to build 1 maybe 2,

What's your guys' recommendation for the driver? Amp looks like the crown Xti stuff.... Thanks for the input, I wouldn't be opposed in cutting a hole in my wall , where is the thread for that build?

Thanks for the input, I wouldn't be opposed in cutting a hole in my wall , where is the thread for that build?

I didn't do a build thraed for my infinite baffle. You normally use four 15" or 18" drivers and a big pro amp. HERE's their forum. I don't necessarily think that an IB is a good first build either but if you feel froggy, you can jump. Once I built mine, I lost all desire to upgrade again.

Alright.... I've slept on it..... Definitely gonna build 2.... Using the Dayton 15" driver.... What amp should I get.... The crown xlr1000?? Thanks!!! I'll start a builder's thread once I get the materials....

the driver mentioned is what I have in mine. Personally, I would build 1 and see how it performs in your space. I have a pretty large volume and 1 is more than enough to pound me into submission, with not a lot of power required.

this is the amp I use. it has a HPF/boost at 20hz that so far has kept me from killing my sub, even when cranked while watching Tron Legacy, Flight of the Phoenix, etc. I still need to do some serious EQ'ing, but Audyssey MultiEQ XT has done a good job so far in making it all more than usable.

http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html

edit: I just noticed the Bash 500 shows out of stock. If you can't wait, the Bash 300 should be more than enough for that driver/enclosure, but lacks the selectable HPF/boost switch. Instead, it is hardwired to 20hz which is where you would set it anyways on the Bash 500 model.