PWK's Equipment

Gregorius

i was exaggerating the weight, it is probably 10-20 lbs, but when that much weight is in such a small package it is just... yeah. so it is like 20 pounds... no, probably 30 since it is about the same weight as my promedia 5.1 sub.

it is a Sears Silvertone, not in the best shape (i mean, come on Smile.gif it was in a tree house for years haha)

i am taking some pics.... they will be really large so you may have to wait for them to download, but you will get a better look at the thing

here is a pic of the silvertone,

silvertone.jpg

here are the tubes, hard to take apicture of...

tubewflash.jpg

here is a picture of the tubes glowing...

glowing%20tubes.jpg

hip hip horray! it seems the fan motor and the wheels are all the same. i was able toget the fan to move and now it works Smile.gif!!! awesome

fanworks.jpg

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

here is the inside for whoever cares

inerdsofsilvertone.jpg

also, i found a round black rubber belt that was just laying inside of the box... any idea what it might go to so i can put it back in place? i can not think of where it would go. it has a 3 inch diameter, and is about as thick around as a computer mouse cable.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Fascinating. Am I seeing the speed right? Looks like the one on the left says 21/2. New one on me. 13/4ips was the standard "slow" speed.

Suggest you give the heads a good scrubbing with 90% alcohol. Also, the tape, if it is as old as the machine, will be acetate and EXTREMELY brittle. Test the rewind/start etcetera with tape you don't mind losing. Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to stop a full speed reel with your hands. Some of these old machines go very fast and the reels become buzz saws.

Nice find! Have some fun.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

Thats one hell of a fan!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Sunnysal, it is generally considered that Paul Klipsch used the Brook 2A3 Push Pull amplifiers in various guises in the development of the Klipschorns. These amplifiers are actually still highly regarded for good sound and still fetch good prices from those that know of them.

If anyone is interested in the 2A3 tube and some of the uses, back then and more recent, please see the below .pdf file. It is a very easy read from Joe Roberts in issue 15 of Sound Practices magazine. This was actually Joe Robert's own mag that the put out that achieved pretty big cult status with the DIY parade. He includes some schematics as well as comments on the 2A3 Fi, Moondogs, Bottlehead, and the Brook circuits. HE even mentions Paul Klipsch a few times. I repeat, it's an easy read and worth a read to the end.

The .pdf file is 184k and is the entire article, pictures, schematics, and all:

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/2A3_article.pdf

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 06-12-2002 at 02:33 PM