TASCAM 34B or Revox A77 MK IV ?

tom b. 57

I have been contemplating buying a good reliable reel to reel that will acoomodate 10"reels as well as my library of 7" reels.

The opportunity to purchase either a 34B or A77 MK IV, both in near mint condition and recently serviced inside and out has presented itself to me and I am not sure which way to go.

They both cost the same amount. My only problem with the 34B is, it won't play the many 7" tapes I have that are recorded at 33/4ips as it will only play 71/2ips or 15ips.

I can always keep either my TEAC or Sony deck for those tapes.

I am curious as to what you guys think is the best deck for reliability and sonic performance of the two, or should I be looking for something else?

I have a limited budget for this purchase. Around $400.00, take or give a few bucks.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

I can't speak to the Tascam, but have had my modestly-used A-77 since I bought it used in the mid-1970's. It is a very impressive machine, w/an amazingly full, bold, accurate, and real sound. Everyone who has even just heard it has been deeply impressed. The slick 3-motor operation is a joy to use.

Larry

• Moderators

You cannot go wrong with either of those decks. Both very well made, you can still get parts, including pinch rollers direct from Tascam if that is any consideration.

One is a four track home audio teck (Revox) and the other is a pro deck that will give you more flexibility on recording. I agree with Larry, and have listened to his deck, the Revox is a nice solid piece of equipment. You will be very happy with either of these decks, but if you have no intention of doing much recording or playing at 15 ips you should probably lean towards the Revox and then you have two decks that can play your 3.75 ips tapes.

Is the head wear the same for both decks?

Travis

• Moderators

PS: After thinking abot this for a moment, if you have a chance for a refurbished Revox A, I would jump on that. You are getting slightly better frequency response on the bottom end with the Revox, and a little better S/N ratio. I think you will be vrey, very happy with that Revox.

Travis

Larry and Travis, thank you for the input.

I am listening to the TASCAM right now as my friend had me list it on Craigslist for him. The Revox I haven't had the chance to listen or examine as of yet.

My friend that owns these is very particular about the cleaning and adjustments on everything he owns and I can take him at his word. He says the Revox is in beautiful shape and the sonics are spectacular.

I may be going for the Revox, that way I can get rid of the TEAC and Sony decks I have. I don't need them all. I just want one that will bring me aural pleasure for a very long trouble free time.

Tom