Custom Legacy Audio vs. RF-7

tpg

Well...

1) Most average sized listening rooms would not accomodate the Legacy well. I would have no use for them just from that standpoint.

2) Not a good speaker to run with a low powered tube amp. So...you are stuck with the wonderfully grainy, filmy sound of solid state.

3) I personally do not care for the sound of multi-way designs -- especially those employing dedicated cone midrange drivers. The only multi-ways I have ever heard that I liked, used dome midrange drivers (like old ADS). In other words, it's not a two-way -- so who needs it.

3) Ribbon tweeters sound to soft. What a horrible choice for HT.

4) I betcha my RF7's sound more dynamic with a 15 watt tube amp than those beasts with 200 watts.

5) As far as quality of sound goes, THAT is purely subjective.

IF you factor in cost -- consider that for $14,000 you can get seven pairs, or (14) RF7's.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * RF-7 Klipschcones® f>s>

Exigency is the matriarch of ingenious contrivancef>c>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-12-2002 at 08:23 PM

From that description, it sounds like we're talking about the Legacy FOCUS (izzat right?) and if so, it's only $6,000 not $14,000.

I've heard the FOCUS. I think it's a really, really good speaker. You get the same dynamics, impact and slam that you do with a Klipsch, in a cabinet that's light-years ahead (these things are BeeYouTeeFull in the fine furniture sense), but while they are much more sensitive than most "other" speakers, they still need a lot more power than Klispch for the same output level, and they cost a LOT more money.

So, to sum up, similar sound, need more power, cost more, look prettier.

Oh, and given sufficient power, those things have BASS. LOTS of BASS. Did I mention they have BASS? Think RF-7 sitting on top of an RSW-15.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I was actually looking at the model called the 'Whisper' for $14,500. You're right though -- the Focus is the one he is referring too because the Whisper uses 15" woofers.

whip2.jpg

Beautiful speakers for sure.

Looks like that upper midrange is being carried by a dome driver. That top end probably does sound very sweet.

Can't even imagine how much power you would need feed into one of these to get the same slam as Klipsch with low power tube gear.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * RF-7 Klipschcones® f>s>

Exigency is the matriarch of ingenious contrivancef>c>s>

Probably sound good, but must require a Lincoln Idealarc for current to supply what, 3 12" woofers, and the midranges ? Granted, the midrange's made by audax are not very reactive, but the woofers ? I bet they would sound great with a krell amp, but what about in the real world ? Maybe that's why the high end guys are brainwashed - make a super-reactive speaker that requires an amp with finals that pass welding current, so that they always have upgraditis - buying expensive speaker cables, etc to try and wring the best sound out of their near dead short speakers. ( just my opinion )Btw, I like the looks.

i'll take the RF-7, has anyone heard a pair of RF-7's with an Aragon amplifier. I have and it will make your ears bleed and the RF-7 took that power with pride. Although i am kinda biased hehe. i would however like to hear those legacy's, by the way are those woofers or subwoofers. I would not put those things in my room, they look like crap!