A rattle inside my amp.

liebherr954

Hello gentlemen I have had my Emotiva UPA 5 for three years now and it has provided me with a lot of joys with movies and music. Last night while watching a movie the amp started making a slight rattling sound when my ps3 was loading the movie, and again half way through the same movie. It sounds like something is lose and when the ps3 creates a certian frequency the noise appears. Is there anything I should be worried about? I don't want to send it back to Emotiva since I live in Canada and the shipping would be a pain.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Moderators

Do you have a test CD that plays certain frequencies?

Why not open up the amp, play the CD tones and listen for the rattle to see what is loose. Might just be a simple bolt that needs tightened inside.

I did this with my room. I kept hearing certain vibrations occuring....used my Test CD to pinpoint what was rattling and was easily able to resolve those issues.

Do you have a test CD that plays certain frequencies?

Why not open up the amp, play the CD tones and listen for the rattle to see what is loose. Might just be a simple bolt that needs tightened inside.

I did this with my room. I kept hearing certain vibrations occuring....used my Test CD to pinpoint what was rattling and was easily able to resolve those issues.

Thank you Youthman, its weird it only happen when the movie loads in the PS3 not durning the whole play back. I will take the amp out of the tv stand and take the lid off. How long should I let it sit so the electronic charge dissipate?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Thank you Youthman, its weird it only happen when the movie loads in the PS3 not durning the whole play back.

Are you sure it's your amp and not your PS3? On rare occassions, my PS3 makes a strange buzzing (maybe rattling) as the DVD Spins up. It's almost as if the disk is off balance for a few seconds. It's pretty loud and I've only heard it do it just a few times.

How long should I let it sit so the electronic charge dissipate?

Good question. I'm not very knowlegable when it comes to the inside of electronics. If you take the lid off, play the source and listen for the rattle to see if you can locate the source of the noise. Then, I would power the unit down, unplug and let it sit for 30 minutes (might be less time but that's just me).

Thank you Youthman, its weird it only happen when the movie loads in the PS3 not durning the whole play back.

Are you sure it's your amp and not your PS3? On rare occassions, my PS3 makes a strange buzzing (maybe rattling) as the DVD Spins up. It's almost as if the disk is off balance for a few seconds. It's pretty loud and I've only heard it do it just a few times.

How long should I let it sit so the electronic charge dissipate?

Good question. I'm not very knowlegable when it comes to the inside of electronics. If you take the lid off, play the source and listen for the rattle to see if you can locate the source of the noise. Then, I would power the unit down, unplug and let it sit for 30 minutes (might be less time but that's just me).

Hello again Youthman,

It is definitely the amp, I have everything turned off and unplugged and I tapped the top of the amp and there is a ringing sound whenever I tap the top or side of the chassis.

Very puzzling since the amp still works good?