Any solo gigging muscians here

Fotog

Looking for ideas on sound systems. What do you use and why? I've looked at the Bose Compact, the Fishman SA220, powered PA heads from Yahama like the 212sc up to the 512sc and some Mackies with JBL and Yamaha speakers - mostly the 15" 2 ways. Have heard some passive mixers feeding Mackie Thumper active speakers that sounded pretty good. Most of the systems I've seen are around $1000 (or more) and If I'm going to drop that cash I want the best value I can find. Also looked at the combo acousic amps by Fishman and Fender.

Bottom line is sound quality versus price point and set up time. Of course there is always space and gear weight and trips to the car considerations for us solo guys.

I'm looking to run an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar with effects pedals, a TC Helicon Voice Live 2 processor, an Alesis SR16 drum machine and backing tracks from an MP3, and of course a vocal microphone.

Have read about Heresy Industrials that likely would sound great - but not sure about finding them or hauling them around.

Thanks.

We use a smaller Yamaha Stagepas300 at the college where I work. The woofers are only 8 inch, but the thing works really well. For larger things we can move all the way up to our 32 input LS9 yamaha mixer with crown amps and larger speakers.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

After much research and comparisons, evaluating the Bose Compact, The Fishman SA220, Fender and Fishman accoustic amplifiers, Yahama/Mackie/Behringer/Peavey active mixers pushing passive speakers and passive mixers feeding active speakers (Mackie Thumpers), comparing Yahama/Mackie/CGM/Peavey/JBL 15" vs 12" vs 10" etc, I've concluded on what I feel is a bargain for my needs and sound.

I am borrowing the Bose concept of a small subwoofer mated to an elavated speaker but using components. The Alto line is receiving very good reviews (especially at its price point) and I bit the bullet and have put together a very versatile system that is relatively light weight, with enough power for my anticipated venues.

Just thought I'd share for anyone else doing the research. Alto 10" active speakers with a 12" active sub. Pretty nice actually and all for about $750.

Sorry you didn't get more feedback from folks on here. In addition to my earlier post, we have added aset of self powered QSC speakers. Really nice, but a bit over you your budget.The Alto line is similar to the QSC, but a third to half the price. For your needs, it looks nice. Let us know after you have been using this for a while.

Bruce

Sorry you didn't get more feedback from folks on here. In addition to my earlier post, we have added aset of self powered QSC speakers. Really nice, but a bit over you your budget.The Alto line is similar to the QSC, but a third to half the price. For your needs, it looks nice. Let us know after you have been using this for a while.

Bruce

Thanks and I certainly will. For the last week been using it in my small home studio and thus far the concensus is good. By comparison, my prior sound systems were my Sound City Concord combo giutar amplifier using a 70's vintage Shure Unisphere Dynamic PE585V high impedance mic. My next step up was a pair of Electro Voice 100A Professional Studio Monitors, powered by a Radio Shack 40W PA amplifier. Bought a new Mic (EV N/D767a) and it was light years ahead of the old PE585 and the guitar amp. This upgrade to the Alto's is again a huge leap over the Radio Shack 40W amp and passive EV studio monitors. Just got cables for the 12" sub today and will be hooking that up tonight. Thus far, my biggest learning curve is on the TC Helicon Voice Live 2 vocal processor. I haven't found the right settings yet as it is coming across a bit too processed for me. The EV 767 is very clear with plosives non-existant. Good deep tone and clarity when I'm positioned correctly in front of the mic. I've got my eye on a Shure SM7B, and hopefully will acquire that in the next month or two.

Much appreciate your feedback and input. Feel free to share any tips or advice. Always seeking insight from those who know.

edit to add - I am astounded at the difference a sub woofer makes in both vocals and the thump from the drum machine (Alesis SR16). The deep low notes on Big John (Jimmy Dean) and Your Cheatin Heart (Hank Williams Sr.) and Under the Boardwalk (The Drifters) have much more volume with a sub woofer in the speaker chain. Really surprising to me the difference.