Heresy VS. Heresy II

Hello to everyone! As the subject states, this post is in regards to the obvious differences in sound between the Heresy and Heresy II models. The Heresy produces a "brighter" sound then the Heresy II, and IMHO, it's this characteristic and "in your face" sound that defines the "heritage" lineup. To me, the Heresy simply sounds better, overall, then the Heresy II. I've had the opportunity to listen to a pair of (circa 1979) Heresys alongside my Heresy IIs (purchased new back in 1991) and noticed an immediate visual difference in the tweeters and woofers---the midranges must differ too---they certainly SOUND different, but it was hard to detect a difference visually in the midrange driver. I was surprised at how much better I found the Heresys to be. My Heresy IIs seemed to be less colorful and less life-like then the Heresys. Am I alone in this opinion? I guess while evolving the Heresy into the Heresy II, Klipsch emasculated it to boot. But then again, maybe I'm alone in my opinion, and Klipsch did the right thing. Perhaps their research found that 8 out of 10 people thought the Heresy to be too bright and with insufficent bass. If that's the case then the Heresy II is, indeed, an "improvement." I just thing that they should have kept the midrange and tweeter from the Heresy and coupled them to the new woofer and new cabinet. THIS, to me, would be the ultimate Heresy...a Heresy III, if you will! LOL And boy, come to think of it, the repeated use of the word "Heresy" is driving my nuts! Perhaps I should have stated that the Heresy and Heresy II would be referred to H and HII respectively...LMAO. Oh well, I'll remember it NEXT time... cwm30.gif

I have not heard the HII, so no way to compare. Do like the dynamics of my Heresy's. Others say the II's have better bass. Do know that I would not trade my Heresy's for II's. They sound wonderful with good tube amplification too.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-13-2002 at 06:06 PM

I have both and as most know I stay with what I hear and only get to technial stuff when looking to upgrade, build or fix problems. So the hwatkins ear says:

HII is little different in the tweeter stuff (if at all to my ear). Below that you get a more complete (better lower range?) and filling sound. As a standalone I think the HII is the better sounding speaker.

All Heresy leave you with a desire to fill the lower end (at the woofer) IMO. I have added a much more 'musical' sub woofer and with an 80 HZ managed crossover have found that I will be keeping the Heresy pairs I have for some sort of inclusion in my will. Make that move and you will find either the Heresy or the Heresy II a very wonderful speaker that, IMHO, is perhaps the best bang for buck I have ever encountered.

If you find the sound pleasing you can search for a pair of speakers in a price range that tops out at a $200 - $500 premium over the Heresy and not get near the same performance on the highs (granted, the bass will invariably be more pronounced on these speakers). I think that when you add the good sub you have to start looking at a higher price range for comparative evaluation.

Gosh - that sure sounds like a biased hornblower approach. Oh well, without individual bias the world would be boring...

------------------

Hwatkins

Heresys are great speakers for center channels or rear speakers for a 5.1 setup. I think they lack a lot for main speakers. I have Cornwalls and Heresys upstairs. The Heresys are ok but lack the dynamics and warmth of the COrnies. I also am running a sub with both setups. The sub blends much better with the Cornies. Overall the Heresy is a lot of speaker for the bang. I think either I or II are very similar.