Windows 7 and Older Software

Don Richard

I've been trying to load Autocad and some other older programs on my Win7 laptop unsuccessfully. I get "disc not compatible with operating system" or "not compatible with 64 bit operating system" messages. Those programs load onto my XP machine fine. I have Windows 7 Home Premium for the operating system so the XP Mode workaround is a no go. Any suggestions?

Don,

Not sure if this would be of any help or not. Today I ordered a new PC for the church office. The OS Windows 7 Professional with XP mode. Hadn't heard of that before and don't even know how it would function, but sounded like it could be worth checking out.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

Daddy Dee, XP Mode is only available with Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate. Don has Home Premium; that is the reason that I recommended VMware Player.

In at least one way, VMware is a superior choice, because it fully utilizes multicore CPUs. Microsoft's Virtual PC can be used with multicore CPUs, but only utilizes one core.

Greg

I've been trying to load Autocad and some other older programs on my Win7 laptop unsuccessfully. I get "disc not compatible with operating system" or "not compatible with 64 bit operating system" messages. Those programs load onto my XP machine fine. I have Windows 7 Home Premium for the operating system so the XP Mode workaround is a no go. Any suggestions?

You can also try running the installer for the software package in XP SP3 compatibility mode.

You can also try running the installer for the software package in XP SP3 compatibility mode.

You make an inportant point, cfelliot; it may not be necessary to run a virtual machine at all, if the installer (and possibly the program) for AutoCAD can be run in compatibilty mode. Don, by all means try this first!

There is a compatibility wizard in Windows 7 that will help you determine whether this will be possible.

Greg