Heresy question

lovemyhorns

I am looking at a pair of 70's Heresy's in raw birch that have the Crites tweeters and I have a couple of questions....

1) I know I will have to replace the crossover caps, but are the Crites tweeters a drop-in replacement for the Heresy or do I have to add something to the crossover to match it.

2) what else should I look for with the Heresy's?

Thanks!

the CT125 by Crites are a direct drop in and require no adjustments or changes and they are excellent (read better than stock).

perhaps you could expand upon your second question? Some like the Heresy and of course there are different versions of the Heresy and some like the Heresy ll and then there is the Heresy lll. I have had late vintage Heresy (almost a H ll) and the new H lll. I have modified both to some degree. My H lll are radically modified. I am not quite sure what it is you are looking to find out about. Best regards Moray James.

My H3, this picture hints at some of the modifications but most go unseen.

post-46582-13819825361006_thumb.jpg

well same things you would be looking for in any used product. Remember that the crossover caps are old and they will not sound as good as they did when they were new. They need to be replacedand or upgraded. In my experience unless you find signs of physical damage or abuse or obvious noises which do not belong you should be good to go. These things would seem to last forever. If they look good sound good buy them if they have issues use that to leverage a much better price and buy them anyway. Most issues are simple to correct or to repair. Great speaker I like them a lot. I am sure that there will be comments from owners of this vintage who can provide more specifics than I can. Best regards Moray James.

Kind of on the same lines of Moray, If all drivers appear to work, and physically they are nice looking. Such as no water damage, what you consider major dings and dents, and scratches. I would listen for about a month or 2 and then yes the only thing after that is replacing the caps(which is kind of like replacing the plugs on a car its a tune up thing) which I would start with oem replacements from someone such as Bob Crites or since they have his tweeters ask what he recommends. If you feel that something just isn't there then we can go a little further but for now that is were I would start. Good luck on your journey.

here are some pictures od a retor brace job on a pair of H3 all solid oak . Just one of many radical mods. You simply have to hear to believe what brace work does for the sound. Of course if you were building from the ground up you would use much larger braces for amore significant impact on sound quality. I hope that this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=438234 link to Heresy 3 internal brace work

Consider adding a sub.

Roger

Or two subs would be a whole lot better. My H3 with a pair of HSU subs will easily out perform Cornwall 3 in all but ultimate output level but that's the only area they give up any ground on but you have to expect a fifteen is going to push more air than a twelve. Best regards Moray James.