Calibrating my system.

mistermoravec

I have had my system for a couple years now, and I continue to have the feeling that I could be getting more from it. I am looking for ballpark suggestions. I know each room is unique, but I'll let you know roughly what I am working with.

My system includes:

Onkyo 1007

Emotiva xpa-5

4 x Klipsch synergy f3

1 x c3

4 x s3

2 x sub 12

I have tried running the audyssey calibration on the onkyo three times. Each time it has led to a noticeable buzz coming from my speakers. I don't know why. Each time I have reset the receiver to default settings and the buzz has gone away. I've now left my settings at default for about a year and a half now. I believe my two subs are set at 80 whatever on the back of the sub and the volume is set at halfway. The phase is set 0 for both of them.

All of my speakers are set at 80 whatever (thx) in the onkyo's settings.

Do any of you have any recommendations on what I should change? I've noticed that the bass doesn't seem very smooth, but kind of "boomy" and just rattles a lot. It doesn't seem punchy in places that I think it should.

The system is loud enough, but I think it could be more refined. Any suggestions?

Can you describe how you use both your Onkyo Receiver and the Emotiva amplifier?

Other than that, I would move the Audyssey calibration microphone around your listening positions, and make sure that you aren't placing the microphone in the middle of the room (front-back/side-side) when you calibrate. I would also recommend using at least three different positions for calibration, all avoiding obvious room mode null positions in your room - buzzing could be that your Audyssey is trying to boost your lf performance way too much.

Chris

I think there is a setting on your reciever for large or small front speakers. Maybe they should be set differently than they are now. Audyssey may be EQing the speakers such that it is dumping too much bass into the mains. It may also be causing the amps in the reciever to clip due to too much bass boost.

Punch is more mid-bass, in the frequencies being reproduced by your mains. Lower your sub's gain slightly. Better yet, back it all the way off, and then slowly dial it up just to the point where the bottom fills in. Further strategies such as "crawling for bass" may be in order, if you haven't done so already.

For easier bass management, set all speakers to small and set avr xo at 80. Turn the sub xo all the way up. Large spearker= no bass management where all speaker set to Small= bass mangement. The size of the speaker is not relavent. I xo my RF 7 system at 100 with speakers set to small. Not much of a difference or any between 80 and 100 when listening to HT or music. The boom may be related to standing waves and sub/speaker placement.

• 2 weeks later...