Tube Amp in tri-amp system

coolhandjjl

Would you be building or buying a completed amp? What would be your price range?

Those amps are great, BUT those drivers won't need near the power those amps can provide. You need something that is great in the milliwatt range, even if they have some power.

I would be tempted to look for some Quicksilver Audio Horn Mono amps. I am sure they are too much new ($1695).

http://www.quicksilveraudio.com/products/hornmono.html (opens in new window)

Bruce

Those Quicksilvers look great, but out of my price range. I have to keep it sub $1000. The ST70 kit is roughly $700 or $800 depending on caps, tubes, something like that.

I did not know tube amps at exptememy low levels can produce distortion. As you mentioned, most of the time it will be operating in the sub 1 watt level unless I set up my rig at my daughters graduation dance or something extreme like that.

For most tube amps I think the problem is not so much distortion at low levels, but the thermionic noise or hiss that can be present. That level won't necessarily change with the volume/gain so it might be easily heard.

Is there anyone in your area who has a tube amp you could try?

Bruce

I have the ST-120 tube amp from Bob Latino and have nothing but praise for it! It is dead quiet and sounds better than any other amp I have ever owned. The ST-70 would definately be overkill for just mids. I ran a bi-amp set up using my Latino ST-120 for the lows and a pair of 5 watt tube amps for the mids/highs, and it was more than enough power! I found that the Latino amp used by itself sounded better than any bi-amp or tri-amp set up I used, so I'm sticking with that. I'll bet that if you bought a ST-70 kit from Bob, it would become your favorite amp!

The st35 clone clone would work.

Also check out the diytube site:

http://www.diytube.com

Shannon has an st35 clone board... he lists the parts required and there is plenty of help. Not a kit, but really nice stuff. There are some guys on here who have built his designs and they work great. He also has some lower power designs as well (in the 2A3 range).

A 2A3 with a 2500 ohm output tranny will give you aboue 4 watts.

Bruce

Any leads on 5 watt amps you could share?

The 5 watt amps I used were a pair of Decware SE84 kits bridged mono. I think the kits sell for about $300.00 each. I still have the amps, but they have a little too much background noise for me to use on a daily basis.

Guest David H

The 5 watt amps I used were a pair of Decware SE84 kits bridged mono. I think the kits sell for about $300.00 each. I still have the amps, but they have a little too much background noise for me to use on a daily basis.

Kevin, you can drop the back ground noise signifigantly by adding 50uf 450v caps to the power supply. There was a mod for it listed on the Decware threads. I tried it, it worked perfectly.

Dave

Kevin, you can drop the back ground noise signifigantly by adding 50uf 450v caps to the power supply. There was a mod for it listed on the Decware threads. I tried it, it worked perfectly.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave, I'll try it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

Idealy the 33uf caps should be replaced with 80uf 600v, this cuts the noise in half. The larger caps may no fit on the board. What I had done as a test was parallel a 47uf 600v with the 33 uf 450v.

You may want to contact Steve Deckert, I suspect he would tell you.

Pay attention to the capacitor orientation as they are polarized electrolytic.

Dave

Thanks, will check with Steve as well.

The ZKIT1 was an easy build, but mine was complicated by the fact that the board design and schematic were dated and the parts list incomplete. A major complication was the fact that builders invariably had to use the Edcor transformers, and the power transformer did not have a center tap as originally designed into the circuit and board. I fashioned a pseudo tap that worked fine. I understand all these things were corrected in the latest board rev (which also uses the same pseudo tap I used).

Once I sorted those details, though, to ensure a clean build, it went together and worked without much incident. Just had to get used to working with tube amps again (feels a bit like picking up a rotary dial telephone, you know? But the sound....).

-M

• 3 weeks later...

Idealy the 33uf caps should be replaced with 80uf 600v, this cuts the noise in half. The larger caps may no fit on the board. What I had done as a test was parallel a 47uf 600v with the 33 uf 450v.

You may want to contact Steve Deckert, I suspect he would tell you.

Pay attention to the capacitor orientation as they are polarized electrolytic.

Dave

I just did this parallel mod using Ruby Gold 47uf caps, and it really worked wonders reducing hum, but I also had to "lift" the ground for the quietest noise level.