La Scalas

TenFish

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now I know how to access the bass bin to clean up and give the woofers a visual.

While you're in there, check for air leaks around the driver after you cinch it back down. Any leaking there is not acceptable. When it comes time to close the hatch back up, replace the gasket around the bottom panel with a new one, and leak check that too.

Use aquarium tubing or something similar, to have a listen around the seams while you play a 25 Hz tone.

Containing the air inside that beast is the most critical functional aspect of the entire cabinet. [8]

Welcome to the forum! [H]

• 2 weeks later...

Quiet, Thanks for the heads up on the seals. Will do. Starting the teardown on both speakers this weekend. Already have several seal choices...use to work for a manufacturer that through out "scrap" materials and I was more than happy to do a little "dumpster diving" (uuggghhh!). Their garbage, my gain.

Rick,

I removed all the screws and saw exactly what you described. Doing clean-up little by little. No rush. Plan to replace both 15's with Crites. Using a heat gun, putty knife, patience (about 10 minutes worth per scrape session) and some minor elbow grease. Looking to be finished tomorrow, lightly sand both facing surfaces and lay on a single coat of urethane to assist in sealing.