Popping noise on DVD

Not sure which part of forum should get this question.

On some DVDs, I hear a rather loud "popping" noise. The noise is not on all DVDs, and seems to occur only once or twice in one part of the DVD. I WANT to believe this is a disk problem--is it? Since we rent alot of DVDs, I clean every DVD before playing it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

------------------

Michael Stano

KG 3.2s front & rear

KV-3 center

SW-10

Mitsubishi DD 8020

Mitsubishi HS-U70

Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

Yamaha HTR-5250

Michael-

The "popping" noise could be caused by several things....

1) If you fast forward a DVD it sometimes can take several seconds to "lock on" to the audio signal. It really depends on the format of the DVD.

2) When a DVD switches layers, some players have to relock onto the audio format, this too could cause popping.

I would recomend grabbing a friends DVD player and testing it with a DVD you know pops. If you don't hear it, it is probably the result of your DVD player. Otherwise, your reciever might have a problem.

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

as revealing as klipsch speaks can be, a lot of pops & noise could be in the recording itself.

also, for not much money i picked up a memorex dvd/cd player lens cleaner, & just recently got a disk washer at radio shack. fluid & a lil case u put the disk in & turn the crank. really great for those usually pretty dirty rentals.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Do the pops always occur at the same place on these disks or is it more random?

I have a small beer keg refridgerator plugged into the same circuit (not the same outlet) as my HT system...when the compressor kicks in I get a small pop from my sub. Possibly you have something plugged into the same circuit that's causing a problem.

Dave

I appreciate the ideas you have given me on the cause of the "popping" noise. I feel stupid in that, until after my post, I hadn't thought of simply going back to the same problem spot to see if I got the noise again.

Also, for no good reason (other that all you guys laud the product), I checked out the SVS subwoofer page and found the following: "If your amp/receiver isnt rated in its manual for 4ohm loads you do need to exercise some preliminary restraint. Do some testing of your own to make sure your amp does not get hot or express any other signs of instability (distortion, popping, etc.) at high levels." I don't have an SVS sub, and I don't run at what I would call high levels (usually 1/3 or less volume on DVD), but my Yamaha HTR 5250 is set at 4 ohms because I am running 6 sets of speakers on the "B" output (controlled by Paradigm impedance-boosting switches). Could running my HT Klipsch speakers at 4 ohns on "A" cause the poppping noise?

Again, TIA.

------------------

Michael Stano

KG 3.2s front & rear

KV-3 center

SW-10

Mitsubishi DD 8020

Mitsubishi HS-U70

Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

Yamaha HTR-5250