Receiver

erikjohn

I am currently in the market for buying a new receiver for my HT. I have seen a whole lot of posts that boast Denon, Marantz and Onkyo. I currently have a Yamaha HTR 5250 and I love the way it sounds although I have never done a taste test comparison to other receivers. I guess what I'm looking for is for some feedback on the new Yamaha models and any comparisons any one has done as far as Yam VS. Denon or Yam VS Marantz. Anyway I am looking to spend btwn $1000-$1500. I run a mostly Heritage system.

Yamaha HTR-5250

85 Cornwalls - Frnt

81 Heresy(Pr) - Ctr

KSF-8.5 - Rear

KSW-12 Sub

Hitachi 61" HDTV SuperUltravision

I have owned Yamaha receivers since 1994. Started with an RXV-870 at that time. Christmas time I purchased an RXV-1000 to upgrade to digital processing from the older pro-logic processing. It has the bells and whistles needed to to do DTS and DD.

I upgraded to and RXV-3000 one month later because the retailer had a smokin deal on those. This is a workhorse with 8.1 channels. Load of wattage output. It powers my RB5's as fronts, with an RC3II for the center, an older SW10 subwoofer, and wall mounted rock solids for the rears. No distortion, no flinching at ear bleeding volume levels.

I feel that Yamaha makes a good solid product that can handle the loads and does not run hot when pressed.

Many folks here don't like Yamaha's with Klipsch, they say Yammy's are too bright. I have been using Yammy's with Klipsch since the '70s and I don't find them to be a good match. My current HT is RF-3's all around with a Yamaha RX-V992.

If and when I upgrade my HT I will definatley look at receivers that offers a 5/5.1 channel music without DSP's (which I think Yamaha may do now, doesn't do on my model).

Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide!

eric, for HT 1st I ran a sony de935 "circuit city special" (not good), then a marantz sr8000 (much, much better), & now a b&k ref 30 pre/pro w/ a reference 7270

seven channel power amp (audio splendor).

the marantz sr8000 is now in the stereo room sharing that duty w/ the ole kenwood kr9600 power receiver (165WX2, dual power supply), & the sony is in the bedroom driving some tiny technics cubes for stereo. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page