Modifying the La Scala / Steampunk La Scalas...

Boomzilla

BACKGROUND:

My LaScalas came to me in profoundly rough shape. They are a 1980 model with the woofer access port on top with a screwed-in lid to allow access. To temporarily make them attractive, I covered them in "peel-and-stick" flooring planks and covered the entire front with a grill.

PROPOSED:

I'm thinking of doing the following:

cutting the top off the existing cabinets

flipping the bass cabinet so that the woofer access port is on the bottom

cutting the bass cabinet so that the (new) bottom is "angled" (does away with the need for a riser)

replacing the woofers

having a local cabinet shop recover the bass cabinet with 3/4" veneered plywood

covering the front of the new bass cabinet with a grill

mounting the midrange horn atop the new cabinet

moving the crossover from the top to the back of the cabinet

making a riser to align the tweeter (now mounted vertically rather than horizontally) in the plane of the midrange driver

RESULTS:

This would leave the midrange and tweeter horns completely exposed, giving the speaker an industrial, "steampunk" look. It would also time-align the midrange and tweeter horns (whether it makes any difference or not, I don't know). Should I not like the look or sound, I could just build a top cabinet (ala La Scala II) and remount the horns in it. That would be a more attractive solution, although it wouldn't provide the time alignment that the staggered horn arrangement would.

Wha'dya think?

Just tossing out an idea to confuse you a bit...

What if instead, you chopped the top off (or kept it), sold the existing horns & drivers (keeping the woofer driver) and convert it into a 2-way JubeScala?

I'm not saying it's cheap nor good looking. What it is though is a significant step up in performance and sound over the stock LaScala. In fact, while you're at it, you could add the stiffeners or an extra layer of plywood to help kill the sidewalls from resonating.

Here's a picture with the smaller K510 horn installed inside the top

post-15072-13819828570012_thumb.jpg

Here's the balls to the wall K402 'Warthog'

The engineering has been done on these to convert them to a 2-way when using an active crossover (yet another expense). I think a passive exists for the K510 (smaller horn) in this application but I'm not aware of a passive for the K402 (the larger horn)

Simply food for thought

Do a search on JubeScala and you'll probably find a handful of threads/comments.

post-15072-13819828572892_thumb.jpg