Woofers on Heresy.

Tonio

Goodmorning to all of you. I'm a new italian owner of a pair of old and used Heresy HWO. Their s/n is 119W162 and 119W163. They plays wonderful and I am very, very satisfied of their sound. QUESTION: can someone kindly explaine to me why there are two differents woofers, both K-22-E, but one whit a squared magnet and the other with round magnet? I repeat: both marked K-22-E. Their colour's is slightly different, and on the dome of one I can see two copper wire covered with paint, nothing on the other. Inside wooden boxes, the crossover is mounted symmetrically: in one of them on the right wall, the other on the left. Is this normally or not? My doubt is that it was necessary to replace one of the two, and the required part has arrived with the same symbol, but with a different shape. Should I be worried? I have to change one of the two woofers? Which one? They sound like no other pair of speakers, with my little Marantz 1070 . Thanks for the replies. (Sorry for my english.)

• Moderators

Welcome.

Others can help with the difference in magnets, if they are both marked with the same number it may be just a different manufacturer I don't know, they should have the same specs if marked the same.

If they are working I wouldn't change either of the woofers, If all drivers are working all I would do is update the capacitors (cheapest) in the crossover or just replace them with new ones which is more expensive.

Others here will also give some ideas, glad you like them. [Y]

I believe the round magnet woofers is a replacement. I think the "E" in K-22-E means the driver was manufactured by Evanence. The square magnet is simply an older model. The square and round magnet drivers should be interchangeable in heritage speakers. There should be no noticeable difference as long as the spider, cone, surround, and former is in equally good shape.

Do the two speakers sound different when played in mono?

" . . . Should I be worried? I have to change one of the two woofers? Which one? They sound like no other pair of speakers, with my little Marantz 1070 . Thanks for the replies. (Sorry for my english.)"

I'd enjoy them as they are. Don't worry, your English is far better than my Italian. Welcome to the Forum.

"can someone kindly explaine to me why there are two differents woofers,
both K-22-E, but one whit a squared magnet and the other with round
magnet?"

Eminence finally got a punch press big enough to do the thicker magnet plates. They were originally square because all they could do was shear them.Those are 5/16, now they can handle 3/8, and even bump the back-plates for more excursion capability.

Thank you for your answers, and for the consideration you have given me. I realized that the best idea is to keep my fine speakers as they are, and continue to be satisfied while I listen to them, as now: Chris Botti is playing "My Funny Valentine", and I feel it right here next to me .... Thanks again to all of you. Ciaociao.