Tube Noise

Deang

I have some very light 'crackling' coming from my left channel that is only noticable at low volume levels or through the head-phones. It almost sounds like static but isn't.

I have isolated it to the preamp. I guess I need to start replacing tubes one by one until I figure out which one it is.

Any opinions on what this might mean exactly as far as the tube itself goes? I'm using NOS Amperex White Label 6922 PQ Gold Pins and Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boys.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Psalm 122:6f>c>s>

Dean,

Sometimes you can find the offending tube by lightly tapping each tube with a finger tip (don't over do it -it will either work well or not at all). Tube testers sometimes have a hard time checking a "crackly" tube. Sometimes you can switch tubes around to figure it out - if you have a bunch of the SAME tubes on board, i.e. multiple 12AX7's. In your situation, the first thing I would do is switch the left and right preamp tubes to see if the problem switches channels. If it does, you have your answer.

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 06-19-2002 at 12:43 PM

Most likely not the tube and more likely dirty contacts. Turn off unit and remove all the tubes and clean the pins and sockets. Could be a tube but more often than not, crackling sounds are dirt in pots, sockets, contacts etc etc.

Do this and see what happens before movig to next step.

Also, as I remember, you have plenty of backups. Switch tubes as well. The dirty socket/contacts are more than likely the culprit, however.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

I agree with Mobile most likely a dirty contact. Pick up some Caig deoxit or even tuner cleaner from Radshack and clean all the tube sockets and retention them and give all the controls and switches a good bath in contact cleaner while turning them vigirously.

Good Luck Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 06-22-2002 at 08:04 AM