looks like its straight from the local PTA meeting

garyeanderson

I was looking at craigslist on Saturday evening and this caught my eye. A Stromberg/Carlson SAU33 portable PA the ad said it worked the last time it was used a couple years ago. So being the weak minded sole that I am I emailed the seller and went to bed. I got an email about 8am in the morning with a phone number to call so I did and set up an appointment for 10am as it was an hour plus away. Found the house without any problems and was greeted by Don. I walked in looked at it and handed over the half a hundred and went on my way. Stopped by to see some friends while I was out that way and got home about 3pm and wiped it down and it looked real clean. I proceded to set it up and plugged it in to the tape out of the reciever and tried it out. the EV LS12A full range speakers sounded pretty nice, one had a small hole so I glued on a bit of old speaker cloth over the hole and let it dry. It played about 8 hours yesterday and another 4 or 5 today. I am really please with it and I guess it needs to be recapped and maybe a few other mods to do what I would like it to. I already installed a new 3 prong power cord with a ground and installed a pair of 1/4 inch jack for a guitar. Winter does this stuff to me for some reason...

post-42841-13819829065368_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I like the open baffle design, looks like Electro Voice Wolverine woofers. The bottom of the amp looks like an old Ham radio rig. Have fun with it...chris

Hi Chris

Yes they are 12 inch Wolverines and sound ok for a full range speaker with an open back. Not likely to get used much due to the other stuff around.

I was looking again at the CL listings last week and came across and older brother of the SAU33, I paid a bit more for the PS33. The AU33 amp is in pretty nice shape cosmetically and the knobs are just the thing with two chicken head sizes. Both amps need to be re-capped and and likely new rectifier tubes. Both have 5R4's instead of the original 5U4's

post-42841-13819831071608_thumb.jpg

Not a lot done to the AU-33 other than to see if it made some noise, it did. I did manage to install a grounded power cord and a pair of quarter inch gounded input jacks but thats about all. Lots of wax sweated 60 year old caps but not any real nasty looking problem ones that I can see. Both amps are on hold (unplugged) till I put some money together for a cap order. Not sure what i'll do with the EV Wolverines ot the Stromberg Carlson RC-55 12 inch full range cones.

post-42841-13819831085532_thumb.jpg

THe amp, case and "reproducers" weigh nearly 50 pounds, there is a pretty nice .pdf on the one of the S/C sites that is about 6 meg and gives a lot of details about the 1950 offerings.

http://www.preservationsound.com/?p=5464

THe pdf is this file (6 meg)

http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/StrombergCarlson_1950.pdf

Neil

The Elan's took some money from me last year but it was not that much, it took a lot more of my time though. Last year at this time I was out working on them as the weather was great, this year it is still a bit cold to be out in the garage playing around.

post-42841-13819831090822_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This Bogen H30 caught my eye last Friday and I went to
see it. It was located about 35 miles away and a good excuse to get out of the
house. It was kind of dirty but it seemed like it had all of the parts there
and nothing looked really wrong so it came home too. A good cleaning was done
Friday evening and on Saturday I put some power to it, a loud buzzing was
nearly immediate so I got to play tech, Low B+ voltage was clear and a lot of
looking on the internet I managed to find some great info by Enzo and suggested
bad filter cap. I substituted what I was able to coble together and got the B+
up to spec. The list of capacitors list
just got a bit longer (smile).