Small second sub for system

ed4000

I currently am running a Yamaha RX-V867 to Klipsch RB35 fronts, RC35 Center, and RS42 surrounds. My sub is an RW-12D sitting in the corner behind my sofa to my rear left. There is a 4 foot space behind the sofa and my listening position is around 12 feet from the sub. My problem is I am deaf in my left ear. Everything sounds good if I am standing, or walking around anywhere in the room. But when I sit down the bass is diminished. It's fine for everyone else, so I assume it's my deaf ear, or I'm sitting in a dead spot. I've moved it to the front left thinking since it's a front firing sub it would be better, and it is somewhat, but I really want to leave it rear left for looks. Front or rear right is also not an option. I am thinking a solution may be to get another down-firing sub and place it to my immediate right under an end table, but due to the size of the end table it would need to be fairly small, not over about 12 inches high. My question is will it solve my problem, and if so, what would be a good sub of that size that could handle occasional high volume and be less than $500? The Yamaha receiver is rated at 95 watts per channel. Thanks!

I think a Sunfire True Subwoofer or True Subwoofer Signature is the ticket. Very powerful(2700 watts) and small(10 inch square or 12 inch square). Check out your local craigslist under Sunfire sub.

.CES99-Sunfire%20Miniature%20Subwoofer.jp

Or a True Subwoofer Junior at 1500watts.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/12621334/sunfire-ts-sj8-true-subwoofer?gps=1

BRAND NEW SUNFIRE TS-SJ8 TRUE SUBWOOFER SUPER JUNIOR 8"// 1 YEAR WARRANTY!!!

Bill

• Moderators

Before you go and buy another sub, try placing your sub in the seat of your primary listening position. Play something that has a descent amount of bass and crawl around the room until you hear the most bass response. Place your sub in that location and you will get good bass in your primary listening position.

My guess is it is not due to your loss of hearing since you hear it in other locations around the room. There is probably just a null in your listening position. Adding a 2nd sub can help smoothe out the bass response throughout the room but I would try the "Sub Crawl" first.

The Yamaha receiver is rated at 95 watts per channel. Thanks!

Doesn't matter what your yamaha is rated at since a powered sub has it's own amp.

Thanks for the info. Youthman, good advice. Actually though I had already tried the "sub crawl". But due to furniture layout and wife's meddling with proper sub placement options due to some crackpot interior decorator's view of what the room should look like, I can't move it. I think I may be somewhat in a null, but it's hard to tell with hearing in just one ear. Also part of the problem I think is that when I sit down, the mains & center are a little overbearing and I can't change their placement or direction either, they're pointed straight at me. Might need to try changing the distance and/or volume settings for the front speakers?

Anyways, here's what I tried. I pulled an old pioneer sub out the closet, and a Terk Leapfrog wireless set I still have from an old lake house setup. (forgot to mention, the 2nd sub will have to be wireless due to the same aforementioned crackpot decorator ;) ) I hooked up my second sub output on the avr to left channel input on the leapfrog, then hooked up the sub to the receiver and put it on it's side under the end table. It works ok, a little too much static & interference with the wireless, but enough to tell that I think a sub there will solve my problem. Much better bass in my viewing seat now, with the added bonus of being able to easily reach over and adjust the sub volume based on source material. So I jumped on ebay and picked up a Mirage MM-8 and the Klipsch WA-2 wireless kit. The Mirage was about the only small sub that has a WA port that the Klipsch wireless kit plugs into. I'm thinking (hoping) wireless with this setup will be much better than the Terk. I'm thinking the terk is analog, while the Klipsch setup will be digital (i think?). Also the Klipsch wireless is about $70 cheaper than the Sunfire wireless kits, and the Velodyne kits also.

The Mirage is small (about 9x9x9) so it should fit under most any end table the wife & decorator sidekick throw at me, and I'm thinking it should be powerful enough since it's really just to augment the main sub at my listening position.

I'll update when I get the stuff set up in case anyone's interested!

Even a descent sub(you do some research)off craigslist would be great. I have to mention at all possible the exact opposite corner from the other sub i would position this new sub front right. This by all means is the easiest to get the most balance from any subwoofer system. Seems to work best to tuck a sub into furnature in say the left rear corner then another in front right or vice versa. Next option is with 2 is running them from the front corners and sometimes the rear corners only or all 4. I dont know where you live but i have an outlaw 12 and 2 velodyne 8's for sale. If needed please pm. like new condition in boxes with manuals.