Would this be a waste of $$$?

quote:

AKG'S MOST POPULAR PROFESSIONAL HEADPHONE

A classic design which has become a standard in monitoring. Now with Varimotion XXL capsule for studio sound at home and for portable use.

The "integrated semi-open air" design incorporates a highly accurate dynamic transducer, and an acoustically tuned venting structure behind the element produces a naturally open sound quality. The circumaural (around-the-ear) pads are designed for hours of wearing comfort, while the steel-cable, self-adjusting headband construction and single-sided professional quality audio interconnect ensure extended reliability in demanding professional studio applications.

Proven, popular, excellent - New, improved and even better.

So, if you did not guess, I want to get the AKG Studio K-240. I finally found a local dealer who has them for only $99, normal price was $179.

specs...

K 240 Studio

Type: dynamic

Design: circumaural, semi-open

Frequency Range: 15 Hz to 25,000 Hz

Sensitivity: 91 db SPL/mW

Power handling capability: 200 mW

Rated impedance: 55 Ohm

THD: <0.3%

Cable: 3m (10 ft.) plug-in single cable

Connector: gold plated, 3.5 mm (1/8") stereo mini jack + 3.5 to 6.3 mm (1/8" to 1/4") adapter

Net Weight (without cable): 240 g (8.5 oz.)

Pics...

k240-studio.gif

k240studio_plug.jpg

Right now I have had the HD570, HD500, HD535 and the Sony CD-380. I like them all, but either one is too bright, not loud enough, too harsh, or uncomfortable.

Now I want to look at another brand entirely. never had anything from AKG, hopefully someone here has. the reviews are great, the specs nice, but what about real life performance? anyone tried them? i plan to get them as soon as i get the go ahead from you guys, have the money in my wallet right now for this, and concert tickets for my friends b-day.

so, is it a buy or not a buy?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

I like the AKG K-501's. I don't own them but had a chance to hear them a few months ago. The bass was ok, but they really shine in the other areas. Only downside is these really require a good headphone amp.. THey don't sound very good without one.

dang, i need bass Smile.gif that is a must for me.

external amp? i was hoping against that, how about 300mW, think that would be enough? at least these don't require 7 watts like the super AKG's do Smile.gif

say i do need an amp, has anyone seen or had the Altoid Amp from head-fi.org? well, a poster there makes and sells them. they have been hailed as amazing and whatnot, don't know the price though. i think they are like $50 and built by JMT. Need to get his email... here is a picture, crappy but a picture

fdef8b7e.jpg

altoid1.jpg

do a search at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/search.php?s=7cac15042d3eece92c73d9e8a48935da and find a bad experience with the altoid amp... what do you think?

so, now what? what would you choose if you wanted awesome bass and pronounced mids with clean highs? no no, not the orpheus Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Well if you really want to get into headphones then take a look at Stax products.

These are not cheap but they come with their own amps (usually) and the top of the range even has tubes!!

I have one of their lesser pairs (the Basic 2) and it simply blows everything else out of the window.

Just a thought.

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

nice... but just a tad more than i want to spend haha, trying to keep it around $100, like a scavenger hunt Smile.gif (not really, but i have been on the net since like 12 and it is 4:30 now...)

electrostatic headphones, i should have known... Smile.gif

SRS-2020.jpg

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Over the past 25 years or so I've owned the AKG K240, the AKG K340, the Grado RS-80, Stax electret (not electrostatic) model SR34, Stax SR-5 electrostatic, the Sennheiser HD414, HD424 and HD600, Koss Pro4 double and triple A, and maybe a couple of others.

The Sennheiser HD600 is the best headphone I've ever owned. The Stax SR-5 came closest to matching the HD600's transparency, extended high end, and accurate midrange, but didn't have anywhere near the bass. The AKG models, both K240 and K340, were nice phones, with a smooth midrange and good bass extension, but lacked something in high end extension, didn't have much "snap" in the bass, and weren't as transparent as I like. I also thought they were more colored than most - that is, people's voices sounded, uh, more different on the AKG's than they did on any of the other phones. Hard to explain what I mean... if you listen to Peter Gabriel on a bunch of phones, and get a feel for what he sounds like, then listen on the AKG's and, while he still sounds like a live human being, he sounds like a different person (maybe Peter's brother) that's sort of what I mean.

One thing I am absolutely certain about - with very few exceptions, phones sound very different to different people. A lot of folks really like the Grado's. I don't think they sound bad, but I don't think they come close to the HD600. If there's any way you can *LISTEN* to the AKGs before you buy them, that's the only way you're really going to know.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

sounds great, but what about the ~$100 budget? Smile.gif I have the money to get something like that, but i am on a mission to find the best headphones for that price. HD 600 MSRP $449.95 does not quite fit in there Smile.gif

Unlessi can find them for say, $350 off Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

so i take it this is not a go?

Ray, you compared the 240's to the HD600. would YOU buy yht 240's over again or another set for close to the same price?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

"he HD600's are still King in my book."

Ha you bet,the HD600's with the Cardas cable and a good quality headphone amp are magical.With the HeadRoom Max its audio nirvana for a song..a heavy metal song still within reach for most audiophiles.

Just perfect

The Grado RS-1's are my second best buy,superbly crafted and unique these will astound you.

Have them both and all I can say is AH MUSIC,PURE MUSIC.Both the HD600 and RS-1's outperform speakers costing $10000 easy(with a dedicated high quality headphone amp,dont even think about hearing all the goodsfrom a reciever's cheapo headphone jack).

Justin,

Back to planet earth the Grado SR60 is the cheapest good quality headpones.Koss PortaPro and KSC-35 being the bargain basement great headphones(mostly for portables)

Take a look and listen to the Grado SR125 and Sennheiser 565 Ovation.Great inexpensive headphones.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 06-22-2002 at 01:24 AM

i have tried the SR80's, not comfortable for me. no Grado dealre around me, though my Tweeter said they would order me some to try if I wanted.

have not heard the Ovations.

i really liked the look of the AKG's haha.

the porta pro will not work for me, i need to cover my ears totally Smile.gif

thanks for the suggestion, with the altoid amp i can have up to 600ohm resistance so i will not have to worry about that with AKG and Sennheiser higher Ohm cans.

i am awaiting an email from someone who is a heapdhone pro, we will just have to see what he thinks about this.

thanks

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Justin,

me, personally, I would not buy anything except another HD600. I'd wait until I could afford them. If that was simply not possible, I'd go with th HD580 which is very, very close.

Note that both the HD580 and HD600 sound totally different than the 500, 535 or 570 that you are familiar with - they (the 580 and 600) are (IMHO) much better, so don't base your decision on the three you've heard.

Check out http://www.headphone.com for a comparison of how these five (500, 535, 570, 580 and 600) sound.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

i am going to see what i can do about getting the 600's for a decent price. probably on the net i could, and i can get a listen to any senn headphone at my dealer.

do they require an amp?

this is a responce from the guy who makes the Altoid amp that is hailed so highly and so often

quote:

$75 One is the standard Cmoy amp with Meier crossfeed. Chu Moy, who is the founder and webmaster of HeadWize, designed this circuit. I typically will build this amp in a black PacTec case that measures approximately 5x5x1 and can be powered by either 2 9v batteries or 8 AA batteries.

$65 The second amp that I build I call the CHA 47 amp. This amp is a standard Cmoy amp output stage with a modification by another DIYer called Apheared. With Apheareds mod, the crossfeed circuit is eliminated and the current output is doubled by paralleling the op-amps. Apheared is a Grado man so this amp was designed with Grados in mind. However I find that it works well with most of the headphones that I have tried with it. I typically build this amp in a variety of casings. Altoids or Penguin mint tins, PacTec cases, etc.

Lets see what we (Smile.gif) can find the HD600 for, hopefully around $150 haha. I have the money for a more expensive one, but my parents would think me crazy and i really wanted to say, yep and under $200 when i show them off (including the amp price).

thanks so much btw, i really like getting any type of constructive reply on this! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

let me know how they go for you! i am expecting a FULL review Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

found the answer to my question.

The AKG 240's are a waste of money.

no bass at all, like a whisper.

ALMOST picked up a set of HD600's. They were so perfect! just enough bass (could have used just a little more) and so silky sounding. I was in heaven. They let me listen to them for an hour at Tweeter haha. It was great. Maybe I will just save my money for them. Amazing to me, at 300ohms, they needed no amp, but when i hooked them to the headphone amp, boy did they shine!

Ok, so I will get the HD600's, done. But while I wait (i get impatient on some things Smile.gif) What about the Sony V6's? not the V600's, the V6's. They are supposed to be excellent. No where around me has them.

while at tweeter, ugh, this salesman... he was pushing this $3999 BOSE system to these ppl. I walked up and suggested that they see what they could do with a seperates system like something from KLIPSCH or BA or Mirage, this got them interested, while he went to get a music cd to test out the speakers... (come on, it would be criminal for him to push a BOSE speaker system on a young couple who want it mostly for music! i was SO MAD.) i told them the BOSE story. I sure hope they believe me.

i am so peeved about that sales man. he was such an *** to me that whole trip. asked about klipsch heritage, said he had never heard of it. i started steaming at that point. still mad about it. asked if he knew if they would ever get any of the new heritage since these people would like music and heritage really shines there, he gave me a blank stare. idiot. i am so mad at him now, treated me like trash, like i was a 17 year old with no money to buy stuff. oh how i wanted to tell him i could buy his home theater 3 times over just to put him in his place (he has a Boston Accoustics satellite system...) but i did'nt. maybe i will tomorrow.

now, the guy that i went to after him was a klipsch finatic, has an RF system in his home and we chatted for quite some time, he went and got HIS HD600's since they did not have any out to listen to and let me try his. the packaging was excellent... anyway, he was awesome, he was the only nice one there. oh how i hate to leave my local tweeter, where everybody knows my name, and they're always glad i came.... Smile.gif this tweeter was like going to france wearing white tennis shoes and a SOX hat, i felt out of place in other words.

i could go on and on about the mean sales man, i... UGH. can not get over it, take a few deep breaths,,,, ok, getting better now....

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

I have the V6. The bass on them is pretty good, and you don't need a headphone amp to get the most out of them, so they are excellent for portable use. They are well worth the $65 I paid for them.. The only thing I would change is the comfort. They start to hurt my ears after I've had them on for about an hour and a half.

I have never seen them anywhere except online. Most stores carry the inferior, but more comfortable V600's but not the V6.

that was my experience also, no V6's only the cruddy V600's. that is pretty cheap though. wonder how they compare to the MDR-C580's or the 380's.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support