What is wrong with this setup?

DCFirebottle

Probably been covered before but could use some help.Have a couple sets of cornwalls and a pair of fortes as centers. For the last ten years I ran an older Denon amp and everything was great. The bass was enough to rattle things around the house and I could turn the volume a quarter the way up and that was usually enough. Well the good times ended a week or so ago when I turned on the denon and it had finally expired for good.

Did some checking around. Kind of liked the idea of the new network recievers. A ton of bells and whistles plus one that could control two zones like inside and outside and stream online music right through your router. Bought a yamaha reciever in the 5-600 dollar range. Just a little less power than the denon but all the goodies. Well I'm sure everyone knows where this is going. Hooked it up twice and it sounds terrible. Zero bass, sounds hollow if that makes sense. Lost the richness. The tv sound system sounds better. My wife says buy a sub. I say not a chance.

I do know that tube amps are the best but isn't there a decent reciever with all the new tech that sounds good with heritage series? One that I can afford? All comments are welcomed and appreciated.

I do know that tube amps are the best but isn't there a decent reciever with all the new tech that sounds good with heritage series? One that I can afford? All comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Yessir, what you seek is a Harman Kardon AVR.

Denon 4311 . . . If you can find one NIB or its late year 2012 replacement, the Denon 4520 . . . Running 11 vintage Klipsch and an ML sub for HT on the 4311 with a PL 400 amp on the 4311 preouts for K-horn fronts. Really sweet for music or movies. Marvelous! Added an OSD ATM-7 switcher to run my Scott 299D tube amp on the K-horn fronts in the same HT for 2 channel vinyl . . . Marvelous x 2! For all of the bells and whistles (net connectivity, AirPlay, multi zones, 11.2, robust internal amps, etc.), hard to beat the Denon 4311 or 4520 in the price range. But my 4311 sure makes Klipsch speakers shine, 2 or 11 channels, and still have 2 channel love with the vintage Scott. All the best in your search.