la scala pa speakers

bracurrie

Did Klipsch make la scala speakers specifically for pa use, beside the original design? If so how were they different. I have a line on some of these and i am supposed to look later this week and i would like to know what to look for.

Did Klipsch make la scala speakers specifically for pa use, beside the original design? If so how were they different. I have a line on some of these and i am supposed to look later this week and i would like to know what to look for.

PWK built them as a PA speaker for a politician to use in the early 60's. As far as I know, the production models were the same as the original speaker. I would grab them. I had a pair and loved them. Others with more info will chime in, I'm sure.

Klipsch has a pro sound / industrial LaScala which is recognizable because the cabinet has metal protected edges. It comes in two versions that I know of. One looks like a regular lascala cab. The other, often referred to as 'splits' have a bass module with a separate mf/hf module. They sit in a stack.

AFAIK the only other difference is that the industrial LaScala uses the K43 woofer instead of the K33. The K43 woofer handles higher power and does not have the same lf extension as the K33.

Don't know if there is any difference in crossover. People use them interchangeable. The difference in the woofer is seldom noted in difference of sound. Some say the K43 woofer has a more articulate mid bass.

The very first LaScalas were built for Winthrop Rockefeller's campaign against Orville Faubus (look him up - you'll appreciate PWK even more.) They had a 12" woofer and were much shorter than the LaScala we know and love. They look like they're sitting in a hole. The 15" version had the doghouse horizontially with the woofer hatch on one side. Soon, the doghouse was rotated 90 degrees and the hatch was put on the top. This made getting to the woofer - a concern with the advent of disco - a real chore. You had to take the top off, 16 screws as I recall, then remove the squawker horn, another 7 screws, and then go after the woofer door. Fortunately, the design lent itself to putting the hatch on the bottom.

The LaScala has, until recently, been considered a P. A. speaker. It did come with a choice of woofers as described above, and could be ordered with a variety of handles (PWK used to say, "Peavey stole our horn, so we stole their handles.) coverings and edge treatments. At least it never had the indignity of the Altec VOTT, which, for a VERY brief period, was available in a "groovy" paisley paint scheme. The horror, the horror...

Actually, the very first ones - pre about 1974 - were made out of fir plywood. They have a much rougher look than the birch ones do, especially on the edges.

My '73 La Scala speakers have "La Scala" labels, but the "Type" is listed as K-447. Woofer (doghouse) access is through the top, rather than the bottom (later models), so the top has visible screws.

These are painted decorator black, just like my '67 Cornwall speakers, and the "finish" doesn't bother me at all.

I hope you get them!