Looking for 13uf and 2uf oil capacitors for AA Network

The tricky thing about restoring old stuff is in keeping the parts exactly the same as factory. I'm a car guy, so I have a lot of experience looking up casting numbers, etc. There are always parts available that are as good or even better than the original, and yet the original OEM spec parts are prized. If you have a very valuable Klipsch speaker, and you are intending on doing a 100 point restoration, then finding a New Old Stock (NOS) cap with the right markings etc will be near impossible. The best you are likely to do is find a donor speaker that is in excellent shapoe, and ravage the caps from it.

If you are simply wanting to bring the network back to life, then oil caps is not the way to go, in the opinion of many. Bob Crites has done a great deal of footwork and testing to provide excellent replacement caps. I have installed many of his kits. He is a great fella to deal with and his prices are reasonable.

If you really want paper in oil (PIO) caps, you need to look for new motor run (not motor start) caps of at least 240 vac, although higher voltage ratings are not necesary.. If you can find some NOS GE caps, so much the better. I would venture that you can probbaly find Siemens brand more easily in Europe.

Bob Crites used to have NOS GE (American made) PIO caps.

13 uf is a rather rare value, so you will probably have to parallel a 12 uF and a 1uF. The 1uF can be a MKP type (polypropylene) of at least 100V

Solen MKP caps are proably cheaper in France so that may be a lower-cost alternative to buying PIO caps from a foreign vendor and paying shipping and customs.

Bob has never sold, or ever built with paper in oil capacitors. The motor runs he used to use were metallized polypropylene in oil. PWK built plenty of crossovers using 12uF, normally seen as a stack of three 4uF caps. In a first order crossover, there is so much overlap that it really doesn't make enough difference to fuss over. Besides, most PIO12uF caps run a little high, so you end up being within 7% or better anyway.

Bob has never sold, or ever built with paper in oil capacitors. The motor runs he used to use were metallized polypropylene in oil. PWK built plenty of crossovers using 12uF, normally seen as a stack of three 4uF caps. In a first order crossover, there is so much overlap that it really doesn't make enough difference to fuss over. Besides, most PIO12uF caps run a little high, so you end up being within 7% or better anyway.

Dean, you're right. I bought some of those from Bob and was mis-remebering what they are/were.

Right, if you can't find some old original worn out paper in oils, don't buy new replacements, buy plastic replacements instead! Too funny.

This statement is utterly confusing. I don't know if this is sarcasm, a misunderstanding, or a new point.

Mostly sarcasm. You had a very long post regarding the difficulty of finding the correct parts for a restoration. You mentioned pilfering from other speakers to get the correct capacitors, and then concluded that it was simply best to call Bob for the capacitors. However, Bob doesn't sell the type of capacitors the OP is looking for, nor are they anything like the capacitors that were originally in the speaker. I just thought your conclusion was out of character with the rest of your post. The old paper in oils are shot, nobody should be using them. They are out of spec and prone to leakage. If someone wants paper in oil capacitors for their speakers, they should be directed to vendors who sell new ones, not to vendors who don't carry them, or even like them. Bob is good for many things, he is not good for everything. In the event that you or some here might think I am simply soliciting in stealth form, I am not a parts re-seller.

Right, if you can't find some old original worn out paper in oils, don't buy new replacements, buy plastic replacements instead! Too funny.

This statement is utterly confusing. I don't know if this is sarcasm, a misunderstanding, or a new point.

Mostly sarcasm. You had a very long post regarding the difficulty of finding the correct parts for a restoration. You mentioned pilfering from other speakers to get the correct capacitors, and then concluded that it was simply best to call Bob for the capacitors. However, Bob doesn't sell the type of capacitors the OP is looking for, nor are they anything like the capacitors that were originally in the speaker. I just thought your conclusion was out of character with the rest of your post. The old paper in oils are shot, nobody should be using them. They are out of spec and prone to leakage. If someone wants paper in oil capacitors for their speakers, they should be directed to vendors who sell new ones, not to vendors who don't carry them, or even like them. Bob is good for many things, he is not good for everything. In the event that you or some here might think I am simply soliciting in stealth form, I am not a parts re-seller.

Ahhh! You misunderstood me. I concluded by agreeing with you in that he should call Bob for new caps, not oil/paper. The first part of my message was a lot of rambling that had to do with making the speaker original condition. I think you and I agree that the caps being original looking is not nearly as important as thier performance.

Who knows, some day speakers which are 100% original will be worth a lot more. I run into that with cars a lot. The last car I sold I had to reduce the price on because the block had been replaced with a year correct block. That little fact cost me exactly $5,000.