Model and Marketability of 70s K-horns

V1rowT8

Hello to all.

I am the original owner of a pair of K-horns from the late 70's. Due to the need to downsize, I am reluctantly facing the sale of my beloved speakers. I prefer not to do this, but they really will not work in my home anymore due to some changes. Therefore, I soon will put them up for sale.

Having said this, I need some information. When I bought my speakers, I was pretty young, so I bought the unfinished Birch models. I had them finished by a furniture and cabinet maker a short time later. The finish was well done (although it is not quite as nice as a factory finished model). After all these years, they do not have even one scratch, as they have been meticulously maintained.

My K-horns do not have the riser in between the base and top. Could somebody please tell me the designation of this style? I need to know in order to properly identify them when I advertise.

Also, I cannot remember exactly when I bought my speakers.......although it was in the late 70s. Will someone "in the know" tell me what the serial numbers of my speakers identify in terms of date of manufacture, ect.... The numbers are: 15T455, and 15T456. They both have the letters KC-BR on the attached Klipsch sticker.

Additionally, where is the best place to market K-horns for sale? And lastly, stupid me threw out the original shipping boxes after purchase. Any suggestions on packing and shipping resources would be greatly appreciated. (I figure it is likely once I sell that these will have to be shipped out of my area.......unless I am very fortunate.)

Thanks to all,

GW

GW,

The "T" in the serial number indicates they are from 1978. KC-BR breaks down into (K)lipschorn, Model © with a (B)irch Veneer and a ®aw finish. I remember HDBRBuilder making a post about the different models for the Klipschorn. I will try and find that post and then add the info here...

Mike

Edit: I believe there are 4 different models (A - D) but am not real sure what the differences are. Maybe HDBR will break it down for us.

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 06-25-2002 at 02:46 PM

B-style k-horns are generally of any of the wood klipsch uses...and have risers between woofer bin and mid/high housing.

C-style k-horns have housing similar to b-style, but with no riser...Most are birch, but some aren't.

D-style k-horns have NO separate med/high housing, just a front panel for the tweeter and mid-horn to mount to...which is integral to the cabinet of the bass bin, so to speak...top of mid/high section is open...and have no riser...these are also called decorator models...birch plywood.

Yours are 1979 models, likely built by Ronnie Barhams, Charles Horn, Roy Byers, or Lynne Stevenson...but some other folks built some of them too that year!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

It is with very mixed emotions I report the sale of the speakers described in this thread. This happened very quickly. My "C's" sold (locally) to the first party to look at them. I must say, sellers remorse runs strong. I owned these speakers a long time, and it seems VERY strange for them to be gone. It's awfully quiet around here.

The good thing to report though is that they went to a party I am certain will treasure them as much as I have through the years. Who knows, maybe I'll own another pair some day. That would be a thrill.

Anyhow, thanks to all for the help with my questions. I had numerous knowledgable responses via e-mail, as well as the posts here in this thread. The information shared was very helpful. You guys know your stuff! Until I pipe in again, take care and keep listening!

Signing off looking for any comforting words,

GW

Dry up those tears CW!

You're dilema sounds like my experience after I sold my beloved boat years ago. After going thru several boats years ago, I finally found my thru luv. Although she was a rather large gal, I felt safe as she cradled me in her cockpit thru wind,rain,lighting,and white caps that would have swamped lesser crafts.

Although there was no sex involved, we enjoyed each others company for years. We would often get up at 1 or 2 AM, leaving my wife in bed asleep, and sneek off for a rendevous at our favorite lake. We'd fish for hours and occasionally stop off at a local redneck marina/beer joint for cool refreshment. Being the true lady she was though, she'd always wait outside whilst I imbibed.

It seemed she had this knack for finding fish. Although I never felt I was a very good fisherman, on several occasions we entered local tournaments and whipped the asses of the local massbasterds. Upon arriving back home I would unhitch her and push her in the basement and, after closing the garage door, climb inside her and she would hold my *** as I stroked her hull and we'd laugh together.

As the years went by and my job demanded more and more of my time I had less time to spend enjoying my hobby. I decided, over my wife's objections, to sell my boat. I remember telling my wife that, should I decide I needed another boat, they "stamp out new's boats everyday".

So as you can see CW, in time you will forget your beloved KHorns, just as I have forgotten the old ragged boat that I loved for years.

Keith

GW -- congrats on the sale ... and I can sympathize with how you must feel. I had a custom-made Martin D-41 back in college that my sister passed on to me via a friend. It was the Magic Prince and practically played itself. There were some Leo Kottke riffs that were so easy to play on it --- and in my successive guitars, I've never been able to do it. Call it balance, feel, feedback -- and the "ring" on that G-string would hold for 20 seconds.

It was in the truck of my car when the car was stolen from the parking lot of a Catholic girls' college in Philadelphia in 1975. My favorite set of sticks were in there too. All that for a crappy old Ford Galaxy.

Anyway, I was hoping to get Mobile to nibble at those Khorns ... really nice year and affordable. Don't know what you sold them for but a got a nice pair (needed cosmetic work) of the KCBR's for $1100. Seller was a gentleman.

Just curious, what did you part with them for?

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Hello folks,

I am the lucky purchaser of the K-horns being discussed here. 1979 vintage KC-BR's, completely unmodified with all original drivers, original crossovers/wiring, and stained/finished cabinets in near flawless condition from the original owner. I about fell out a couple of days ago when I read this thread and realized that GW was located only about ten miles from my home. I've been looking for a pair of Klipschorns for a while but shied away from Ebay deals due to high shipping costs and risk of damage during transit. I contacted GW, made arrangements to see and hear them, bought them (wasn't a hard decision), and SAFELY transported them home (although I got a few dirty looks from other drivers who thought I was going too slow, but they can bite me).

GW is an upstanding individual who took fantastic care of the speakers over the years, he was very helpful and extremely fair on the deal. We settled on a price that was appropriate for the type/condition of the speakers and concluded the deal. I spent about four hours rearranging my living room and audio equipment to accomodate the behemoths, then assembled and wired them up. I will probably rearrange it again soon but this will have to work for now. Stayed up until 3:00 am listening to them and am listening to them now as I type this!

An interesting coincidence is that unknowingly both GW and myself bought a lot of audio components from the same (now defunct) stereo store in Virginia Beach, and these speakers were purchased by GW from that very store. I remember auditioning K-horns in the late 70's/early 80's in that same store and getting hooked on Klipsch in the process. I've now scratched/clawed my way up to the top of the Klipsch ladder and assassinated my bank account in the process but couldn't be happier! Time to go, there's vinyl trying to jump off the shelf onto the Linn.

This message has been edited by Audioholic on 07-14-2002 at 07:16 PM

Audioholic, congrats on the purchase, and how that all came eerily together. Sounds like it was karma, meant to be.

Your KCBR's look exactly like the pair I bought from a really wonderful guy south of Philly. Unfortunately, he was the second owner, and they'd been moved from Houston to PA (and a move or two in between). The edges needed to be reveneered and the cabs needed some light refinishing and regrilling (they were worn through in spots). I LOVE my pair and will leave them to my son. Klipschorns of this vintage are pretty swell. I'm sure you'll take great care of them for GW, who does indeed sound like a wonderful guy.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD