Vertical Cornwalls vs. Forte I

Kayo

Say friends, have an opportunity to pick up some Cornwall verticals with recently recapped crossovers and titanium diaphragms for $900. Cabinet condition is VG-EX. I have mint Forte I's now with the same. Pushing them with a McIntosh MA 6200. Are the Corns an upgrade worth the trip? I need to drive a ways to audition them. Input appreciated! Best wishes!

you must already know the answer to your question. Go or don't go but if you want to hear and learn something then don't stay home. Fast answer is that the larger mid horn will sound better than the smaller mid horn though both horns are similar sounding by design and vintage. The Cornwall does not have the bass extension of the Forte so keep that in mind. I think that you might be more impressed with a pair of Chorus ll than a Cornwall. I think that you might be more imressed with a two way Cornscala and even more so with a two way Jubescala. So if you go you get to learn a lot so why would you not want to go? Best regards Moray James.

PS: welcome to the forum. Do keep us posted as to what you hear and think.

Say friends, have an opportunity to pick up some Cornwall verticals with recently recapped crossovers and titanium diaphragms for $900. Cabinet condition is VG-EX. I have mint Forte I's now with the same. Pushing them with a McIntosh MA 6200. Are the Corns an upgrade worth the trip? I need to drive a ways to audition them. Input appreciated! Best wishes!

hey Kayo, its worth the trip depending on the condition of the cabs and the grill cloth. factory verticals came with non removable grills. the cloth is stapled around the motorboard with at least 1000 staples

Thx guys. In hindsight, I'll admit to premature posting. Of course it's about learning and while I appreciate the opinions, I should give a listen and learn. For that matter, plenty of listens! Our ears are not the same and we all know what opinions are like! Enjoy the music guys! That's what it's about!