Preamp tube matching

The Dude

Well I haven't had a chance to listen enough since the swap out from the German made tubes to the JJs as my turntable needs some work. But I did install the German made tubes in my pre amp and have discovered a hum from one of the tubes. Well at least I think it is the tube since when I touch it the hum gets worse, but when I touch the other tube nothing happens. So I will probably replace them with some EHs, I will say on that note that the EHs are sounding better after break in( I guess ) maybe its not break in but burn in. I don't think after a while I will notice much difference between the EHs and JJs but we will see.

Schu I say start with something new in good working order before you go to a used or NOS tube. To familiarize yourself with how it should sound, that way if something is wrong the tube you notice it wright off the bat like I did with the German made tubes. I don't know what you have for tubes but if the Gold Loins are new at least you have a better chance of getting familiar with the sound. Once you know you are getting a good quality sound then maybe switch to the Telefunkens and give it a listen, that way if one of the Telefunkens are bad you will pick up on it right away or at least have a better chance to. So you don't dis regard their sound right off the bat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been running the Simens in the preamp, I must say I don't care for them. I am going to try the EHs since I am running EHs in the line stage. I have had the JJs in the Scott, haven't gotten much use out of the phono section but everything seems to sound fine.