Help me blend my SW10 with my KG4.2's

tlarwa

Just picked up a screaming deal on a minty set of KG4.2 speakers and an SW10 (original version) sub. I have them set-up in my listening room (dedicated 2-channel ... vinyl only!) but am not sure the best way to blend the sub into the mains. My Audio Analogue Puccini amp doesn't have a pre-out, so the sub is now connected at the speaker level, with the wires running from the amp directly to the sub. First, is that the best way to run the signal to the sub in a 2-channel set-up, or should I run the wires from the KG4.2's to the sub instead? I beleive there's a high pass filter that kicks in if you do the latter, while the mains run full-range the way I have it set up now. Is that correct? Next question is where to start with the low-pass setting. Right now I have the sub crossed at 50hz, and the volume set at about 4 or 5. The phase switch is flipped to +. Sounds pretty good, I think, but I have nothing to compare it to to determine if it could sound better.

By the way, a picture of the room as it's set up now is attached. The room is 12'x19' and treated as a dedicated listening room. Comments on sub and speaker placement (toe-in especially) are welcome.

Thanks!

Tom

Posted Imageom

If you run the wires from the amp to the sub and then run wires from the sub to the speakers, your mains will not receive anything below 120Hz. If it were mine, there are 2 ways I might wire it. First and preferably, if your amp has 2 sets of outputs, run one to the speakers and the other to the sub. If there is only one set of outputs, I'd run the speaker wires parallel to the sub amp input, that way they'd both receive a full signal. Be sure you check the final resistance with an Ohm meter before you hook it up to your amp. The last time I wired one that way, I had about a 7.9 Ohm load, but that was with a BASH amp. I can't imagine the Klipsch amp would be much different but I'd double check to be safe.

My Puccini has two sets of speaker output terminals ... for bi-wiring, not to accomodate two separate sets of speakers. I have both sets of speaker wires runing off the same set right now, but I'll try it using both sets when I get home. I didnt wire them from the sub to the speakers because I wanted the full-range signal to go to the KG4.2's.