Media Center PC remote control with android tablet

artto

Has anyone successfully done this?

I'm using J River Media Center 17 on a Windows 8 laptop using a wireless LAN. The tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab2. The tablet can see the wireless LAN. I've downloaded J River's Gizmo app to the tablet and even disabled the Windows firewall. But when I put the J River access code in Gizmo it says it can't connect.

Thnx Bruce. This looks interesting.

One thing I'm still confused about (as this is new to me and I don't know enough to be incompetent [*-)] ~ Spalshtop is installed on the PC? And there is no app that's required to download on the android/tablet device? It seems it's usually the other way around.

Bruce...got it figured out, up & running! [:D]

This is so much easier than J River's Gizmo crap. No configuring, no setting router ports or firewall settings or access codes, etc. etc.

The only thing is, I had buy a pen/stylus to make selections on the tablet because everything is so much smaller and my fingertips are too big, LOL.

But this works great, just what I was looking for.

Thanks a million.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that J River's Gizmo is crap? And so is their lame Forum based product/techical support. I spent who knows how many hours trying to figure out their incompetent "hints". Their Forum Adminstrators are bunch condesending dolts , unlike the very nice and tolerant persons we have here [Y]

• 4 weeks later...

Jrivers gizmo always worked well for me.

I currently use a Nexus 7 32 gigabyte tablet.

Also I use a Raspberry Pi to run XBMC with Openelec and a few

USB drives.The Rpi is connected to my Pio VSX1020 via HDMI.

The tablet software is Yatse for XBMC control and VSX Remote for AVR control. I can even control my insteon lighting.

Also torrenting is a breeze with tTorrent and wireless media streaming to the Pi XBMC via my wireless network using Samba droid.

Anyways using HDMI audio directly to my system sounds great and XBMC supports FLAC plus many more codecs. Figure $270ish for everything at today's prices and many other uses for the tablet you end up with a great system.