Klipsch THX Ultra2 Speaker Advice/Feedback

deraj34

I've slowly been upgrading my 7.1 home theater w/Klipsch THX line and my setup consists of the following:

Front L/R: 12" Optimus PA's (sound is great from them)

Center: Klipsch THX KL-6502

Surround L/R: Klipsch S-1's

Surround Back L/R: Klipsch THX KS-525

Subwoofer: Velodyne DPS 12 (eventually upgrading to SVS Plus)

Room: 15'x15' with 3/4" pine walls/ceiling and hardwood floors in sealed room.

I was going to upgrade my front L/R's w/Klipsch THX KL-7800's but I haven't been able to fine much feedback on them and what I've been reading lately is a little disconcerning. Allegedly upon a breakdown and review of Klipsch THX Ultra2 line it was found that speakers/parts in them were cheap price-wise even though they still sound really good. Also, it seemed as though build costs is less than $200 for most of their THX in-walls and few other speakers upon which Klipsch is charging $1,000+ for. Something that is also very concerning to me is that I got (2) of the KL-6502's for the price of one because the dealer was happy I bought any of the Klipsch THX in-walls and when I was price-matching w/authorized dealers to get a couple/package of the THX Ultra2's to finish my setup they we more than willing to beat any price on the net and offer more than 50% off retail. It seems as though dealers either can't get them to sell or the product line isn't worth it especially in today's Home Theater market w/all the new technology and speakers providing essentially same sound at a fraction of their price. I'd like to have your opinions on that.

I know you're probably thinking that my oldschool PA's matched w/Klipsch THX speakers so far is ghetto but they provide deep solid hitting bass and essentially offer the same WDST w/their horn-loaded tweeters that Klipsch provides. I'd like to switch to in-walls to save space and make theater look nice but I'm extremely hessitant to do so w/the KL-7800's as I don't want to lose that big bold sound and deep rapid bass response. Has anyone tried the KL-7800's or currently have them? Do you like them and are they worth it? I can score a pair right now for about just a little less than the retail price of once. I installed the KL-6502 in my wall which turned out sounding better than expected due to the fact that my 3/4" pine walls essentially create a speaker box and help add unexpected bass to the small center channel. However, with the KL-7800 being a sealed enclosure in-wall I can't expect any added benefit of the thick wood walls after install. As far as the rear THX KS-525's go, the sound is good but nothing great...worth the $800 I paid for the pair I guess. Any feedback, help and opinions is encouraged and greatly appreciated. Thanx

I don't know about any of the inwalls but I can tell you I just bought a used set of ultras and I moved from the high end reference. I will say I think the surround a are every bit as good as my rs-62's. I will say they are not as musical as my rf-63's but that's ok I have a 2 channel setup. I'm not 100% yet but I'm pretty sure I enjoy the larger horn on the kl-650 over the rc-64 I had for center channel duty. The pricing msrp wise to me is insane. I think a new set with subs should be about 6 grand. But I have enjoyed what I've heard so far. Sorry this doesn't help much with your specifics of the in walls but that's my opinion on the ultras. Are you looking for bigger sound than what you are thinking they may provide you with for the price?

I don't know about any of the inwalls but I can tell you I just bought a used set of ultras and I moved from the high end reference. I will say I think the surround a are every bit as good as my rs-62's. I will say they are not as musical as my rf-63's but that's ok I have a 2 channel setup. I'm not 100% yet but I'm pretty sure I enjoy the larger horn on the kl-650 over the rc-64 I had for center channel duty. The pricing msrp wise to me is insane. I think a new set with subs should be about 6 grand. But I have enjoyed what I've heard so far. Sorry this doesn't help much with your specifics of the in walls but that's my opinion on the ultras. Are you looking for bigger sound than what you are thinking they may provide you with for the price?

Isn't the horn bigger in the old 64 (1.25" vs1")?

The tweeter is bigger in the rc-64. 1.25" vs 1". However the horn is much larger! And that's what I'm thinking gives it a bigger sound. I would like to also think for the price difference that is a higher quality tweeter but who knows. I know for sure themrclean posted some

Pics of the 6.5" woofers in the rc-64ii compared to the thx ones and they are like twice the size in the back. The thx ones dwarf the 64ii drivers. It's weird.

Here are one of the pics he was talking about. I was definitely surprised when I saw the two side by side. The THX woofer seemed built better, heavier, more solid, and quite a bit bigger than the RC-64II woofer. I talked to a Klipsch technician before selling off my Reference speakers for the THX line and he said that the THX line is superior in every way.

post-43812-13819856356482_thumb.jpg

Here are one of the pics he was talking about. I was definitely surprised when I saw the two side by side. The THX woofer seemed built better, heavier, more solid, and quite a bit bigger than the RC-64II woofer. I talked to a Klipsch technician before selling off my Reference speakers for the THX line and he said that the THX line is superior in every way.

Smaller yes but there is 4 of them in the 64 vs 2 in the THX. Not saying one is better just pointing that out

Klipsch over rates thier speakers. The klipsch ultras are more like 93 from what I'm reading everywhere. Seems about right. I think the rf-63's say 99db on them. I've had them next to jtr noes is 228 which are rated 98 db and his were 3 db louder than mine on the same signal. So I'm pretty sure Klipsch are around 4 db high in their sensitivity.

Yes, my main concern is that the KL-7800's won't put out big enough sound to replace my front main's. I can't seem to find anyone that has them or had them. You're definitely right that Klipsch retail prices are off the charts but I can score a new pair of the 7800's for about $1,000-$1,100.

I would think that the sound from the mains should be fine. You will have all the volume you need since the speakers will be xo at 80 and combined with subs for the low end. Frequencies above 80 Hz don't take much power compared to below 80 Hz. Combined with proper setup,and spacing of the speakers, the THX system should really shine. I don't have any THX speakers but with my Reference set, I can't imagine a bigger sound stage and I have never had a problem with dialogue. I am not sure if small differences in horn size or driver size make all that much difference in a system with multiple speakers to cover the room and directivity? That is one of the reason for setting all the speakers to small in my system, I don't need to run the RF 7's full capability or any of the other speakers since their combined synergy covers all the bases. Autocalibration sets all my speakers in the negative numbers so output in not a problem.