rf-7 ii amplifier matching

Montana93

I am considering purchasing a pair of rf-7 ii's and am wondering about what I should do for an amplifier. I have a Yamaha (rx-497) which outputs 75 watts per channel. Is this receiver enough to power the rf-7's? I enjoy solid bass and am concerned that my receiver won't be able to push around the 10's. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Montan93

Welcome to the forum.

I am considering purchasing a pair of rf-7 ii's and am wondering about what I should do for an amplifier.

My first thought with the little info provided, an outboard stereo or multichannel amp with sufficient current and at least 125w/ch would be suggested.

I have a Yamaha (rx-497) which outputs 75 watts per channel. Is this receiver enough to power the rf-7's?

I enjoy solid bass and am concerned that my receiver won't be able to push around the 10's.

It is enough to drive the RF-7II's at moderate levels but will not provide the bass drive you so desire, IMO. It does not have preouts for an amp so you would also need to get an AVR that has them if you want to ad an amp.

Some questions for us to help you better.

How many channels are you planning to power with this system?

What speakers, if any, do you have or will have in this system?

Will you have a subwoofer?

How large is your room, W x L x H?

What is your budget for receiver/amp or just receiver.

Where do you live, approximate?

Bill

My room is roughly 15 ft wide, 15-20 ft deep, 7 ft tall. I will be sticking with a 2 channel set up. I would like to keep the cost of the receiver or preamp/amp set up around 1000. Thank you for responding and please keep the questions and comments coming. I want to learn as much as possible about this.

Answering your questions in order,

I will be powering two channels with this system.

I am planning on just using the RF-7 II's but I do currently have a set of RB-61's that I could incorporate.

I have a mirage omd prestige s10 subwoofer that I can use for the system if I want.

Dimensions are approximately 15' X 20' X 7'

My budget is 1000 for receiver/amp or just receiver but I am up for suggestions for higher priced options that I could do in the future if 1000 isn't enough.

I'm originally from Missoula.

Thanks for your feedback and please keep the questions and comments coming. They are much appreciated.

Thank you for pointing out Emotiva to me. They definitely seem to have some good options and might fit nicely into my set up. I am looking to spend around 1000 but am open for suggestions for higher end components as a potential future purchase. I really want to stick with new. Please keep the questions and comments coming, I am here to learn.

I am looking to spend around 1000 but am open for suggestions for higher end components as a potential future purchase. I really want to stick with new. Please keep the questions and comments coming, I am here to learn.

Here you go.

http://www.sherbourn.com/products/pre1

plus this when it becomes available

http://www.sherbourn.com/products/pa2250

Sherbourn is owned by Emotiva.

Bill

Bill,

Thank you for your help. I just have a few more questions. Would that pre amp allow me to run my sub with the speakers if I so desired? Also, for future integration into a 5.1 channel home theater system, all I would need to do is get a 5.1 channel compatible pre amp and use the bypass feature of the 2 channel, correct? Lastly, what gauge wire would you recommend for running this set up?

Bill,

Thank you for your help.

My pleasure.

Would that pre amp allow me to run my sub with the speakers if I so desired?

You could run a subwoofer but not in the common LFE preout way. You would have to find a sub that has high pass inputs or speaker level connections. Others on the forum may be able to help you there.

Also, for future integration into a 5.1 channel home theater system, all I would need to do is get a 5.1 channel compatible pre amp and use the bypass feature of the 2 channel, correct?

That is correct.

Lastly, what gauge wire would you recommend for running this set up?

I mostly use 14 gauge but IMO, don't go smaller than 16 gauge especially if runs are more than 12 feet or so.

Bill

2 X mono blocks http://outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html at $350 each.

or receiver http://outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html at $699

Outlaw is more geared for home theater with their multitude of multi channel offerings and their idea is for anything less than 5 channels you go and use their mono blocks. Emotiva caters with a lot more products. Both companies are good but after having amps from both companies, I like my outlaw more. The outlaw monoblock is also great because it uses class h/g technology which gives you the benefits of class a/b at lower volumes and then switches voltage rails at higher volumes thus keeping better efficiency.

You can also get a 5 channel or 7 channel amp even and bi-amp the 7's which would easily allow you to expand later on for a surround setup if so desired. I would use 10-12 gauge wire but for the most part its because I like thicker wire if I can get it.

Check out audiosource amplifier as well. They make a good product. You could also look at Marantz integrated stereo amps as well. Denon and onkyo also make integrated amps.

In all honesty though, for a straight 2 channel receiver setup Harman Kardon is such an excellent choice. I have a 10 year old HK receiver and I absolutely love it and its a great price. http://www.harmankardon.com/estore/hk/us/products/HK-3490/HK%203490_HK_US?skuId=HK3490_HK_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly