Why are some Cornwalls vertical?

So they could be used in the horizontal and vertical positions. Most importantly laid on their side and used as a center channel speaker. Keep in mind the woofer was also offset as well it wasn't just the horns placement that was different. They even offered risers for them when used in the horizontal positions. Made them a bit more versatile. I have owned both and they sounded the same to me when placed in similar positions.

Mr. Klipsch said he wanted to be able to place a Cornwall underneath a window sill and keep the tweeter as high and close to ear level as possible. Putting it in the corner of the cabinet let the owner accomplish that whether the speaker was sideways or upright. He found out eventually not that many people wanted to put their speakers under windowsills, so he went to the current arrangement. It ended the headache of having to keep mirrored pairs together from construction to delivery.

The "urban legend" holds the vertical Cornwalls image better, but I've never heard it demonstrated.

He also said the dimensions of the Heresy were chosen so one could fit sideways over a typical doorway.

PWK seems to have often taken into account practical considerations that other speaker designers didn't think to consider. I wonder if he also thought that the big centre channel speakers like Belles and horizontal Cornwalls (yes, they work great in pairs, but centre channel duty seems to have been a design consideration) might be used as TV stands and made that a factor in their shapes and sizes, and cabinet strength?

Actually, he did, going so far as designing a scarce variant of the Shorthorn to hold a TV. You can see it in some of the old ads with a 1950s style TV sitting on it.

As someone who used to move LaScalas around on a regular basis, I was also glad he designed the horns so they would easily fit through a standard doorway - something that didn't seem to occur to JBL so much.