KLF-10 vs 30

vnzbd

I have had a set of KLF 10s purchaced new and have enjoyed them on and off for a long time now. I had a set of 20s for a while and found them harsh to listen to for extended listen sessions. They are now gone. I now have lined up a deal for 30s that include the trade of my 10s. Knowing that the 30s have the same mid/tweeter combo as the 20s scare me but the alure of the 30s is rather strong.

Can the 30s shout be tamed?

I know that it comes down to my ears but I am struggling with this so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Either the room and positioning or knock the tweeter down a db or two with good quality resistors or autoformer.

Another thing I have found is a layer of 3/16" or 1/4" open cell foam on just the bottom side of each the midrange and tweeter horns (out of the way of the throat). I kills a lot of the horn sound which is part of what is perceived as harshness or edginess.

Too bad about the KLF20 I like them a lot, they just needed a little TLC. The big issue with the KLF20 and the KLF30 is not the mid (they share the same mid driver and horn) it is the fact that the tweeters that they use which are K79's are factory fitted with soft poly diaphragms. Those are the very thin black shiny diaphragms and they sound terrible. At the very least the KLF20 and KLF30 should be refitted with phenolic tweeter diaphragms or much better yet fit them out with new titanium one inch diaphragms from Bob Crites. That is where all you troubles stem from. Best regards Moray James.