Testing woofers

fini

I recently puchased two woofers needed for a restoration project I may get to this decade (AR-LST's). Both woofers need re-foaming (surrounds), as apparently most of this vintage do. When I received them, I connected each to the receiver, and each worked. My question is, are there any other tests I can perform to check their restoration-worthiness? I'll probably have A Brown Soun, in San Rafael, do the re-foam. They can test everything, too, but I was looking for something I could do, using minimal equipment (i.e. a v/o meter). Thanks!

fini

I have one of those future AR restoration projects myself fini, and although I cannot answer your tech question, I can tell you that my local long term/mucho experience speaker repair center quoted me a price of $30 to replace surrounds on BOTH 12" woofs.

Hope this is of some use. Oh, and good luck.

Keith

Basically, I think there is little more you can do.

If they make sound, this will show that the voice coil is in good order. A volt-ohm-meter (VOM or multimeter) would just confirm the same.

You can push on the diaphragm, gently, to make sure there is no rubbing.

It takes some very sophisticated equipment to give a full diagnosis. I'm not aware of any intermediate steps you can take.

Gil

I only have high regard for the work done at A Brown Soun. They re-foamed the woofers on my AR-10pi's...cost about $100 complete. Only wish I had them go over the tweets and x-overs too...these things sound much more shrill than I remember.

dvannote

I have a sort of guardian angel who whispers in my ear from time to time.

He points out that pushing on the diaphragm could be dangerous if the push is off center. It might cause coil rubbing, rather than detect it. This is probably particularly so if the surround is already damaged.

He suggests hooking a 1.5 volt battery to the speaker to move the coil and if there is rubbing, it will show.

It is nice to have a guardian angel and I always listen carefully. But I think you'd have to have a good and bad speaker to compair to know what will show.

Woops, now I'm hearing something about that cigarette after dinner.

Gil