------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use 4 conductor No. 14 600 volt control cable. You can't find it in Home Depot, but if you know any electrical contractors you might get them to get some for you at less than $0.50 per foot.

By paralleling two wires of the cable, the impedance, which increases considerable with frequency, is cut in half. Increasing wire size reduces the resistance, but doesn't reduce the total impedance nearly as much. Using four wires instead of two cuts the impedance about in half. For instance, at 20 kHz, the impedance of 50 feet of 2 conductor No. 10 (2.5 times as large as No. 14) is 1.10 ohm. The resistance is 0.17 ohm.

The total impedance of 50 feet of 4 conductor No. 14 is only 0.58 ohm, and the resistance is 0.31 ohm.

An added advantage is the ease of bi-wiring if the speakers accept it (as do my RF-3 and RC-3 speakers).

For shorter lengths, say 10 feet or less, the impedance really doesn't matter much because it is much smaller than the speaker impedance.

I like Audioreality's comparison of Monster cable to Levis. I myself compare Monster cable to Bose speakers(another religious discussion), that they are good on the high end versions, but just not worth the money. You can do much better for much less.

I have been doing a lot or research lately on speaker wire. Hope you can also benefit from it too. Here are some suggestions for speaker wire shopping:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/

(own speaker wire, seems very high quality. 12awg for $0.40/ft., not bad, plus reasonable shipping)

http://www.stores.ebay.com/accessorykingcom

accessoryking seems to sell a lot of decent wire for way lower prices on EBAY. Check it out.

http://accessories4less.com/

well-rated ecommerce site. Not the cheapest online, but much cheaper than stores.

I consider Acoustic Research (http://www.araccessories.com/) cabling products to be high quality and reasonable cost.

www.Buy.com sells Acoustic Research wire very cheap and charges NO Shipping. Sometimes difficult site to navigate, but worth it. I would check them out too.

Hope this helps?

• 2 weeks later...

When I started to reply to this thread I knew I was joining in with opening of another can of Pandora's worms but here goes.

A few years ago when I swithced speaker cable from 14ga. zip from Woods to Monster 12ga. (Radio Shack @ 60 cents/foot) I did hear some clearer highs and a little clearer mids. O.k., that was probably worth the $20. About a year later I decided to get the MITerminator 2 Bi-wire (oh no, another variable to argue about) it was the biggest cable upgrade yet. The highs were even more detailed (not louder just more distinguishable) and the bass fell through the floor. It sounded like some one put a 12" sub in the room and, no, I don't use a sub to this day. Could it be the little passive networks in line on the MIT's? Maybe. But I like to think it was both purer metal with a little better idea in the networks.

BTW- I measured the resistance (I know that's not the only thing that should be taken into consideration, capasitance should be as well) between the Woods and the Monster, the Monster had exactly half the resistance.

Hey AirpirateCVG! Is it safe again over at Greater Cincinnati Northern Kentucky International Airport yet? I heard the news about it being the worst in security. Like I should talk, I live just 2 miles away from Clermont Co. Airport. You know, with the store that caters to terrorists? SPORTYS? LOLOLOL!! There is a flight attendant I went to high school with over your way, she never did tell me what airline but she now owns about 60 acres in either Brown or Clermont Co. Her name is Nicole Pownall and she's about 37.

I really do miss the observation deck over there...

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 09-13-2002 at 11:32 PM

OH NO!

It's the ever intrusive speaker wire thread.

I, myself, prefer to use speaker wires. Smile.gif

I just can't seem to make the pretty sounds come out of the magic boxes with out them little buggers.

How much for the Uranium dipped, titainium laced, gold flanged, passive filtering propogation inducers.

I'll take two to go with a coke.

Momma used to say,

"Cable is as cable does".

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

right, i've been mixing for 10 years now and i've never heard of investing money into speaker cables. all a cable does is allow those cool little electrons to "flow" through it to create that cool magnetic field that pushes ur speaker thing. (ya, there's more invloved, but that's the basic concept) i can't remember exactly which law it was, but here's the concept of resistance...it increases proportionatly to it's length and decreases proportionatly to it's width...u want overkill? buy a 1ft in diameter cable made outta gold. or you could just design a practical super conducter and have no 'interference' with ur cables.

i've learned one thing along my travels of mixing and it's this:

the purpose of all this audio stuff is to get rid of the bad stuff...u can't create anything good, but u can eliminate the bad.

so unless ur amps/speakers/recievers/imputs/studio/etc etc... are all perfect, investing lots of money into cables when u could invest it in better speakers sounds stupid to me (get the pun? sounds stupid...ok it was lame) then again, i've only been mixin for 10 years. perhaps i might learn something new :D

think im nuts? prove it to urself...buy a million dollar cable (im sure u could find one) and then buy cable from ur hardware store and then buy a midrange cable (watever that is) and have a friend switch the cables for u and u have to tell him which one was which. note: b4 u buy the stuff, make sure ur allowed to return it...no need to waiste a million bucks on an experiment (unless it's not ur million) Wink.gif i think some of y'all might be surprised at the results y'all will get

CVG-

You mean they just came in and deputized everyone?? The same people that were on security before!!? The media made it sound like that all the people were replaced with new people that were already feds! Shheees..... I'm sure this is gonna spark another round of gripes from the people in Delhi. They've been gripin' since 1977 when Delhi had their population explosion of migrants from Westwood and Price Hill (where I'm from, I just took a U-turn and went to the East side near Eastgate Mall).

------------------

Tom's Money Pit