which pre amp for SS amp and vintage La Scalas???

tswei

I've heard that EQ creates phase problems, is that true? And do you have any rec's on which unit?? Seems EQ was popular in consumer stuff in the 70s but has now disappeared.

I don't know about phase problems, but using a 1980s equalizer with a modern receiver or preamp may not give great sound. Modern EQs may be better than the old ones, but I'm just speaking from my own experience.

When paired with a 1978 Yamaha CR-1020, the Yamaha EQ-70 sounded fine, and allowed me to tailor the sound to my taste. By 2004, the CR-1020 was needing repairs again, so I replaced it with a 1998 Yamaha RX-V392. That's a low-end model, but the sound was more detailed and more pleasant than what had been coming out of the CR-1020.

When I connected the EQ to the 392, I immediately noticed that the sound seemed kind of veiled. Repeated listening, with and without the EQ in the signal chain confirmed what I first heard, so I took out the EQ and put it away.

After that, I got a new 2005 RX-V750, and it was an improvement over the 392. It was not quite as warm, but warm enough, and had more power and clarity. I started setting up the Paradigm sub I'd bought a bit later, and found a severe peak at 32 Hz and a dip at 60 Hz, likely caused by the room dimensions. EQ to the rescue!

It was only necessary to use one channel of the EQ, but I set the controls for the other channel in a matching pattern, simply for looks. Any veiling of the sound was not apparent in the bass range, and I was able to greatly reduce the peak and dip, for a smoother overall sound.

Unless modern equalizers are a lot better than the one I have, I think that the way they compromise the sound would be a reason to not use one with modern higher-definition receivers or other electronics.