Tube Question

I just changed the 4 chinese stock 6N1P tubes in my Yaqin integrated amp with 6N1-EV Russian VOSKHOD tubes. Everything lights up and sounds right except the volume is much much less. Is there a break in period? These tubes are in the preamp section.

DD is correct in saying that the new tubes have less gain than the others. There can be a fair amount of variation in that parameter. I suspect that the new tubes are at the low side of the specified gain while the others may be at the high side. As long as you don't have to turn the volume up considerably higher for a given level, and they sound good, I'd not be concerned.

Maynard

The problem has been solved. The Selector switch was slightly off AUX 1. Once I turned the Selector dial to where it clicked into place, problem solved. I must of bumped it when I took the cover off the amp. I normayl have the gain on about 1 1/2 to no more than 2 out of 10. But, last night I was up to 6, lol.

I wish I had a turntabe because yesterday I had a chance to get some free old LP's like Billy Eckstine, Dexter Gordon, Miles Davis and others from the swing ear that are in great shape.

Thanks guys for the additional info on tube. I know very little about tube, tube preamps and tube amp. I don't think I have to be concerned with the bias in the amp since the tubes are in the preamp section and the amp section is a type of A/B amp with transitors. That is the reason I got an integrated amp-more like a plug N play.

Thanks guys for the additional info on tube. I know very little about tube, tube preamps and tube amp. I don't think I have to be concerned with the bias in the amp since the tubes are in the preamp section and the amp section is a type of A/B amp with transitors. That is the reason I got an integrated amp-more like a plug N play.

If you ever want to use tubes as the power amp, keep in mind that single ended amps (both triode and pentode) are also plug and play since they are traditionally self biased like the tubes in your preamp section.

If you ever want to use tubes as the power amp, keep in mind that single ended amps (both triode and pentode) are also plug and play since they are traditionally self biased like the tubes in your preamp section.

You never know where this hobby will take you. I still wonder how different a tube amp may sound compared to a hybird amp like the Yaqin VK 2100 which has 2 double triode circuitry in the preamp. I may find my way to the heritages line. SQ is important but, build quality and aesthetics is also a factor to consider. I think the visual experience of the gear makes the audio experience better.

I think the visual experience of the gear makes the audio experience better.

No question about that. Building custom amps over the years I have been amazed at how some guys have remarked that the amp I built for them, in some kind of beautiful cabinet of their choice, sounds so much better than the prototype which I demonstrated. To me, they sounded and measured almost identically, so it had to be the aesthetic influence which caused them to say what they did. For me, just looking at glowing tube filaments is enough!

Maynard

The lights from the tubes are mesmerizing. Look away or they will hypnotize you into buying them. Tongue Tied

I saw my first glowing tubes when I was 3 years old and the repair guy came out to fix my grandmother's console radio. That was it for me! He left the bad tubes which my parents let me keep. When I was a little older I made holes in a cardboard box, stuck the tubes in, and "lit them up" with my father's flashlight which had a red filter. Amazing how I remember that (but don't ask me what I had for lunch yesterday!) They are remarkable devices which I still love to design circuitry around, and their visual appeal is every bit as strong as it was when I was a wee tot!

When I wrote my review on the Yaqin amp, there were subtle difference between it and the Pioneer SC 35. I really turned up the system the other day so we could hear it while entertaining outside near the pool since I don't have outdoor speakers. I opened the windows and let the music play The Yaqin really shined at higher volume and the two amps sound very different that day. The bass from the tube gear really got you savoring the jazz music. The RF 7's impressed me once again being ran as large compare to the Pioneer with the 7's as small speaker paired with subs. The system was on -5 t0 -10 on the Pioneer for Reference. I was surprised that I could push the tube gear that loud. The Pioneer did not seem as loud even at -5 to -10. The Pioneer did handle some Hip Hop better at these levels due to the heavy bass.